UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: friendlygirl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740877  
Subject: Re: A Key To Early Retirement Date: 7/16/2002 1:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
It is a question of priorities because independence is attainable if you're willing to make the sacrifices. If you don't want to give
up the fine dining, the fancy car, or the luxurious apartment etc.. that's your choice, however, you should realize that these things
are what may be keeping you from your independence. Realize that these are the things for which you are selling your time.

When it comes down to it all you really need is enough money to pay for a roof over your head, and enough food to eat. Even
these costs can be minimized to as great an extent as you feel appropriate.

I would suggest, rather, that it is a question of reclassifying my needs/wants. I understand that some people may look at their lives and decide that they want the luxurious apartment, fancy cars, etc., but I think that most people (particularly people on this board) don't have what they consider luxurious lifestyles. Rather, it is the distinction that we don't even see, the options that don't even come to mind that prove the true sticking point.

The whole idea of retiring early is on which doesn't even occur to many people. It is an invisible option to them. Many of our "needs" occupy a similarly invisible spot.

For example, consider shelter. Now, I live in a studio apartment, and it just has the basics. So, no luxury here, right?

Now wait a sec. I choose to live in a particular town, close enough to Boston to be part of that ridiculous housing market. Similarly, I choose to live in a studio by myself instead of renting a room or having a multi-BR apartment to share. I have made several choices which make my housing into more than just the bare essentials. It is a matter of my POV whether this apartment is more than that necessary for lodging.

I submit that it is the blindspot that causes the most trouble in savings and LBYM. Only by expanding the options and realizing that your "basic" lifestyle does in fact contain such "luxury" choices will you really be able to scale back. This must be done before you can prioritize and make decisions.

Just my thoughts,
friendlygirl
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement