No. of Recommendations: 3
Hmmm. Shades of Ann Coulter.

>> The hysterical crusade against fat has become a veritable witch hunt. ... Listening to the doctors on cable TV, you might think that it's better to cook up a batch of meth than to cook with butter. But eating basic, earthy, fatty foods isn't just a supreme experience of the senses—it can actually be good for you.
But there's another world of fatty foods, a world beyond bacon and barbecue—not the froufrou fatty foods of foodies either, but basic, earthy, luxuriant fatty foods like roast goose, split-shank beef marrow and clotted cream. In the escalating culture war over fat, which has clothed itself in sanctity as an obesity-prevention crusade, most of these foods have somehow been left out. This makes it too easy to conflate eating fatty food with eating industrial, oil-fried junk food or even with being or becoming a fat person.
Fear of fat has become a national sickness, an all-American eating disorder: Call it fatnorexia.
sensory satiety is our friend. Voilà! The foods that best hit that sweet spot and "overwhelm the brain" with pleasure are high-quality fatty foods. They discourage us from overeating. A modest serving of short ribs or Peking duck will be both deeply pleasurable and self-limiting. As the brain swoons into insensate delight, you won't have to gorge a still-craving cortex with mediocre sensations. "Sensory-specific satiety" makes a slam-dunk case (it's science!) for eating reasonable servings of superbly satisfying fatty foods.
My dream diet book: "Eat Fat, Stay Slim." <<
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732339330457835...

arrete - had an extra piece of bacon today. Probably won't eat again until dinner (which will be early). I am satiated.
Print the post Back To Top
I should have added that I've kept 45 pounds off for 2 years and lost another 4 this year on my "enjoy the fat, avoid the carbs" way of eating. I don't call it a diet because it's just the way I eat - forever.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 1
I should have added that I've kept 45 pounds off for 2 years and lost another 4 this year on my "enjoy the fat, avoid the carbs" way of eating. I don't call it a diet because it's just the way I eat - forever.

arrete
---------------------------------
You must be stopped!
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've kept 45 pounds off for 2 years and lost another 4 this year on my "enjoy the fat, avoid the carbs" way of eating.

Do you have a favorite cookbook that embraces this way of eating? But if oatmeal is off the menu, I'm doomed. Love me some oatmeal.
Do you have a favorite cookbook that embraces this way of eating? But if oatmeal is off the menu, I'm doomed. Love me some oatmeal.
----------------

I don't have a cookbook, but I have a column I follow. She also has an email newsletter (free). She also talks about Meditarrean diet and paleo diets.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/

Oatmeal is high in carbs, but if you keep the rest under control, it might work. Everyone is different. Here's someone who makes the'r hot cereal with ground flaxseed. You should like that. <g>

arrete - I am lucky in that I don't miss grains, potatoes, or sugar. People vary.
I don't have a cookbook, but I have a column I follow. She also has an email newsletter (free). She also talks about Meditarrean diet and paleo diets.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/

I found that Protein Power by Micheal Eades was an interesting read on a lot of the basics of why low carb, good motivation

As far as recipes, there are low carb recipes for so many things on the web it is awe inspiring

My daughter wanted to make me a cake for my birthday, she found a low carb cheese cake(yeah she went with some sugar substitute) made with almond flour, it was excellent

I also had this great low carb flounder/halibut recipe using mayo and romano or parmessanm and just so many others.

My only problem with low carbing is I fall off the wagon from time to time, mainly when my daughter comes home from school. But it really is actually easy to follow once you are on a roll, and unless you have huge changes in your day to day, there is not huge craving to change after a fairly short time, at least from my experience.
Thanks, arrete. I'll sign up for the newsletter.

I also like flaxseed oil/champagne vinegar on my daily huge salad. I can't eat an oil-less dressing.
I'm hungry.....feed me..... :)

fooling around with tax stuff makes me hungry and very frustrated.

I told you I'm shrinking in height well, it compresses the flesh so it's more...can't win for losing.

LuckyDog
Oatmeal is high in carbs, but if you keep the rest under control, it might work. Everyone is different. Here's someone who makes the'r hot cereal with ground flaxseed.

Forget the ground flaxseed. Here is my recipe.

Start with steel cut oats. Yes they take longer to cook but there is an overnight method that cuts the time down to five minutes in the mornings. Then add some brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla to taste. Its important to add the cinnamon and vanilla at the very end (as with all volatiles they will cook off and you lose the taste). Add fruit of choice; mine are bananas, blueberries, and strawberries. Then the key indgredient - top off with heavy whipping cream. Not much, drizzle over the top of the bowl. HEAVEN!!!

JLC
Yes [steelcut oats] take longer to cook but there is an overnight method that cuts the time down to five minutes in the mornings.

What's the overnight method, please?
Yes [steelcut oats] take longer to cook but there is an overnight method that cuts the time down to five minutes in the mornings.

What's the overnight method, please?

Measure out your water and oats like normal. Bring water to boil, dump in oats, stir and cover, turn off heat, let sit overnight. In the morning just heat up and cook to desired texture.

I can't remember if I picked this up from Alton Brown or Cook's Mag.

JLC
The last time I had steel cut oats, I didn't prefer them over "old fashion" oats. Maybe I didn't prepare steel cut correctly. I'll try again. Thanks.
The last time I had steel cut oats, I didn't prefer them over "old fashion" oats.

Steel cut does have a different taste. More nutty and a slightly chewy texture. IMHO they have flavor where other oats are tasteless.

JLC
You know what? Good.
I wrote on PA years ago that if you let the taxpayers pay for your healthcare, then they have every. damn. right. to tell you what food you can eat and how fit you have to be.

PA putzes laughed it off of course. They think because once a month they walk to the grocery store with their reusable bags that they're in shape.

O-care is turning into the gift that keeps on giving. I'm all for fat liberals being forcibly put on diet and exercise programs. Here's to national push up and pull up requirements along with a 1-mile run time target. Let's get America moving! Starting with all those basement-dwelling lib bloggers with 30% body fat.
O-care is turning into the gift that keeps on giving. I'm all for fat liberals being forcibly put on diet and exercise programs. Here's to national push up and pull up requirements along with a 1-mile run time target. Let's get America moving! Starting with all those basement-dwelling lib bloggers with 30% body fat.

I didn't think of it that way. You're right!

See, Art--I can't get this kind of brilliant analysis just by reading the MSM.

Kudos!

I've lost weight from being sick with the flu for two weeks, and it's only just in the past few days that I'm starting to eat "normal" again. I need to get my strength back as I'm still not 100 percent in that department. I can't get enough fat into my diet. Butter is like the nectar of the gods to me right now. I stopped in at Walgreens today to buy some milk because they have a gallon on sale this week for $2.29 with the card... but I walked right back out because everything was gone except 1% milk and skim. So I walked back down the block in the other direction to go to Jewel and get whole milk even though it was $2.69 there. Only whole milk for me, thank you -- the fat helps absorb the calcium and vitamin D. Maybe I'll go down to 2% if whole milk isn't available, but I won't go lower than that.
Only whole milk for me, thank you -- the fat helps absorb the calcium and vitamin D. Maybe I'll go down to 2% if whole milk isn't available, but I won't go lower than that. - Baron

--------------------

I have been drinking 1% for so long that even 2% tastes like cream to me now.

I had not heard about the fat/vitamin D thing. At my last physical, the blood test showed low vit D levels. I found this surprising given the amount of milk I drink and that I am outside in the sunshine as much as I am. I get plenty of fat besides the milk so I dunno.

I was at a fishing tourney last summer where they had a breakfast every morning down at the marina for the entrants. All they had was 4% milk, and man oh man it was so good and rich, I would prefer drinking whole milk full time except for the cholesterol risk.
Only whole milk for me, thank you -- the fat helps absorb the calcium and vitamin D.

If God had wanted us to drink fat free or 1% milk, it'd come out of the cow that way. ;-)
"At my last physical, the blood test showed low vit D levels." - bighairymike
------------------------

I take a 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 everyday along with a one a day for old male geezers that has 400 I.U. of D3 in it. My doctor measures my vitamin D and it always comes back fine.

I do buy whole milk and use it on my cereal and in cooking and we use real butter to fry eggs in.

My cholesterol was 179 in November last year. One time it dropped as low as 149 during one of my physicals.

I take psyllium every night. I buy the Equate brand of "metamucil" in the Wal-mart Pharmacy. I mix it with diet lemonade and just guzzle it down. I've been doing that for years.

I also love salads and eat a lot of salads and other green leafy vegetables. I like spinach, cabbage, parsley, cilantro, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onions, green beans, and other legumes which are high in fiber. I usually use some kind of Italian or balsamic vinegar salad dressing on my salads.

I also like tacos and put lots of veggies on my homemade tacos, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, peppers, olives, etc.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 2
I do buy whole milk and use it on my cereal and in cooking and we use real butter to fry eggs in.

There's more than one discussion board devoted solely to the uses and benefits of coconut oil. Here's just one.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/coconut_oil_open_forum/...

Apparently, this humble oil got the kiss of death from the American Medical Association and has been relegated to the dust bin for decades.

But au contraire, it's one of the healthiest oils there is and eggs fried in coconut oil are sublime.
"At my last physical, the blood test showed low vit D levels." - bighairymike

A friend of ours was tested and found to have very low vit D levels. epona had some of the same symptoms, so she got tested. epona had extremely low levels of vit D too and was put on Rx strength pills (like 20,000 ius).

Once we found this we recommended that my mom get tested - same story.

And grandmother - same story.

And aunt - same story.

Every female member of my family was critically low of vit D and had to be put on supplements. Now I recommend to just about everyone that they should be taking vit D supplements. If you think you might have symptoms, go get tested.
AndrewKudos!

I've lost weight from being sick with the flu for two weeks, and it's only just in the past few days that I'm starting to eat "normal" again. I need to get my strength back as I'm still not 100 percent in that department. I can't get enough fat into my diet. Butter is like the nectar of the gods to me right now. I stopped in at Walgreens today to buy some milk because they have a gallon on sale this week for $2.29 with the card... but I walked right back out because everything was gone except 1% milk and skim. So I walked back down the block in the other direction to go to Jewel and get whole milk even though it was $2.69 there. Only whole milk for me, thank you -- the fat helps absorb the calcium and vitamin D. Maybe I'll go down to 2% if whole milk isn't available, but I won't go lower than that.

Andrew,

If you could find some place where you could get organic, raw, whole milk from a trusted source, that would be for better for you then store bought anything. It takes a week or 2 to get used to the taste, but once you do, it tastes better and is much healthier than the chemically, hormonal polluted stuff the gov't forces dairy's to produce.

The key is a trusted source. Lot's of natural foodists around my area will buy it from a farmer that hand milks a grass fed, free range cow. Of course living in Chicago, that might be a challenge. ;)

Me? I don't do dairy. But if I did, that is how I would drink it.

Metal
A friend of ours was tested and found to have very low vit D levels. epona had [...] extremely low levels of vit D too and was put on Rx strength pills (like 20,000 ius). Once we found this we recommended that my mom get tested - same story. And grandmother - same story. And aunt - same story.

The prolific use of sunscreens is one of the reasons why Americans have low levels of Vitamin D.

Nobody needs sunscreen except maybe babies, but they don't need to be in the sun for very long, anyway. An adequate intake of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids provides "built-in" sunscreen.

Natural Sunscreen Protection from Real Food
http://oreganicthrifty.blogspot.com/2009/05/natural-sunscree...

Now we've all been told for as long as we can remember to "protect yourself from the sun". After decades of slathering on the sunscreen, are we any better off? According to the World Health Organization:

In the U.S., one in two cancers is skin-related (estimated skin cancers in the U.S. annually, 1.1 million). These figures are on the rise, and the WHO expects the skin-cancer epidemic to accelerate: The annual incidence rate for melanoma is estimated to have more than tripled in the last 45 years in Norway and Sweden and to have doubled in the last 30 years in the U.S."

So, all the hype about sunscreen and sun protection has done seemingly little good. The stats above lead me to wonder: Is there another factor that contributes to sun burn and skin cancer?

After some research into the topic, I keep finding this connection between Omega 3 essential fatty acids and healthy skin. Specifically, studies are finding that an optimal balance of omega-3s to omega-6s (3:1, or better) is critical for many, many health factors, including heart health and skin health.

According to a study published in the American Health Foundation Journal:

"Epidemiological, experimental, and mechanistic data implicate
omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) as stimulator's and long-chain omega-3 PUFAs as inhibitors of development and progression of a range of human cancers, including melanoma."
Here's to national push up and pull up requirements along with a 1-mile run time target.

I remember way back in grade school we had the Presidential Fitness Test or some such name. Had to do so many pullups, situps, pushups in a minute; broad jump so far; and run so far in 10 minutes or so. I think its still around but they've changed the tests.

Maybe have your diet restrictions based on your test scores. 99th percentile you get to eat what the heck you want. Bottom 50 and Uncle Sam writes out your diet plan.

JLC
I just sat out in the sun and played my dulcimer for 45 minutes. Had to wear a jacket, though. It's still a bit nippy.

arrete
I just sat out in the sun and played my dulcimer for 45 minutes. Had to wear a jacket, though. It's still a bit nippy.

You're lucky you don't live in Chicago. It's going down to 9 degrees in the outlying suburban areas tonight and tomorrow's daytime high will only reach 25 -- and with 20 to 30 mph winds, wind chills are expected to be in the single digits all day.

"Early Spring," said the groundhog. Bah, humbug.
Andrew
You're lucky you don't live in Chicago. It's going down to 9 degrees in the outlying suburban areas tonight and tomorrow's daytime high will only reach 25 -- and with 20 to 30 mph winds, wind chills are expected to be in the single digits all day.

"Early Spring," said the groundhog. Bah, humbug.

I thought of you this weekend Andrew. I have an aunt that does tours around the country for High School Band students. She said her favorite US city to visit is Chicago and she would live there if it were not for the hard winters.

Metal
Every female member of my family was critically low of vit D and had to be put on supplements.

So, Jim, did YOU get tested. If your wife was that low, there's a good chance you were low too. After all, you probably have similar diets and lifestyles.

(When DD tested way low and was put on the prescription pills, DW and I got tested. I was also way low, DW was "too low to measure". DW took those four-month-RDA-each pills *twice* a week for a while.)
"So, Jim, did YOU get tested. If your wife was that low, there's a good chance you were low too. After all, you probably have similar diets and lifestyles.

(When DD tested way low and was put on the prescription pills, DW and I got tested. I was also way low, DW was "too low to measure". DW took those four-month-RDA-each pills *twice* a week for a while.)" warrl

------------

Our doctor tested us for Vitamin D. My wife was low and I wasn't. I took/take a 2,000 I.U. daily and at that time my wife must not have. Doctor gave my wife some kind of once a month Vitamin D pill (I think like 50,000 I.U. that she took for a while but now I think she's taking some kind of daily Vitamin D like I do.

I also take a One a Day multi-vitamin for old male geezers that I buy at Sam's Club that has 400 I.U. in it so I am getting at least 2,400 I.U. plus whatever I get from whole milk, and the meat I eat.

My wife is a vegetarian and uses & drinks weird stuff like coconut milk and Kefir and other hippie-veggie stuff that she is under the illusion is good for her.

Me on the other hand? I buy whole milk and use it in my cereal and in cooking and don't buy into all that hippe-veggie-organic nonsense that ignorant people without degrees in Agriculture believe in. People will believe anything.

Art
Advertisement