UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10537  
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/26/2012 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It is interesting to me that when I tried to look those two systems up that I ended up on UK sites. That is unusual. Makes me wonder if these models are primarily for Europe and/or UK (in which case shipping could get expensive if you're in the US). The prices in the UK are over £ 300, which does exceed your upper price limit.

The first thing to look for, IMO, is the power rating of the speakers and of your amp/receiver. If you have a 100 W/channel amp, and these speakers are only rated to 60 W, you'll probably be watching your tweeters fly out the window pretty quickly. :-)

I did not find the speaker ratings quickly. I also have no experience with LG speakers, so can't comment on them in general either. I tend not to be a fan of these sorts of speaker "systems" because all the ones I've ever heard are too bright. But that's just personal preference. To get 5.1 on the budget you specify you probably don't have a lot of choice about that.

I would probably favor Infinity or Boston Acoustics. Both good brand speakers, in general.

Oh...and besides the power, be sure the impedance matches. If your stereo drives out so-many watts at 8 ohms then you want the speakers to be 8 ohms too. Most are, but some are 6 or even 4 ohms (last I knew). My receiver drives out 130W/channel at 8 ohms. All of my speakers can handle that, with some extra headroom since the 130W number is RMS (root-mean-square; sort of an average) but the peaks can be higher.

1poorguy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement