Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: 401K for small business Date: 7/31/2013 3:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It is my understanding there is something referred to as a "small business 401K" where you can own a small business and you and your spouse are the only contributors to the 401K plan.

Yep. They also go by "solo 401k" or "solo K".

There's nothing really unique about them. Any business with employees can have a 401k plan. The only difference for these is that they don't have to do most of the testing required when there are other covered employees.

We own a small business and the spouse and myself are the only employees - everyone else is a contractor (not an employee).

Be very careful here. Contractors who really should be employees can mess up a whole lot of things. Including a 401k plan or any other retirement plan. If you want to dig into this issue further, I'd suggest starting another thread.

I sort of understand that each of us can contribute $17,500 this year PLUS $5500 catch up, if we are over 50

Yep. Same rules as any other 401k plan.

I am trying to further understand, that I think these 401k contributions are deductible as a business expense?

Yep again. Mostly. They are definitely deductible from your income. But if your business is reported on a schedule C or is a partnership, the deduction is a bit different from a business reporting as a corporation. Mainly, you don't get to reduce your income for self-employment tax purposes. And you have to have at least as much income as you contribute to the 401k plan.

If you mention how your business is organized, we can give you some more specific guidance for that particular entity.

Anyway, I guess you can tell I am just beginning to research this.

Depending on your business income and your goals, you might want to look at a SEP in addition to - or instead of - a 401k plan. A SEP allows you to put up to about $50k into the plan per year. If you have both a SEP and a 401k, you can't exceed the SEP dollar limit on contributions. (Well, except that you can add in the $5500 extra to the 401k for being 50 or older.) A SEP is also limited to 20% of your income from the business (or 25% of your W-2 wages, if you pay yourself that way). So for high enough incomes, you can get the maximum deferral from just a SEP. A 401k allows you to put 100% of your income into the plan, so it's sometimes the better choice for lower incomes.

And in any case, you can also add an IRA contribution to the mix. So in theory, you could put $50k into a SEP, $5500 into a 401k, and $6000 into an IRA all in the same year. (You'd probably run into the limits for deducting the IRA contribution, but you could always make it a non-deductible contribution or possibly make it a Roth contribution.)

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement