No. of Recommendations: 0
It is out of line for employees to go through your possessions -- but I am puzzled as to why you didn't complain about it then. You'd have a much stronger case for some kind of compensation from the hotel if you had called the front desk and demanded attention to the matter when you noticed that it looked like someone had gone through your things and that items were missing. Now ... you're absolutely right that hotel employees should not steal from guests, and that hotels should strive to hire honest employees who won't do any such thing. But there has been too much time, and you and your bags have gone too many places, for it to be as obvious to the hotel as it is to you that it was their employees' fault.

Several years ago, I realized that I was missing a few items of clothing after returning from a trip, and I figured out that I must have left them hanging in a closet at a particular hotel. I called to find out if they had been turned in to the office, or if they were still in the room (it was just two days after we'd left). Nope. I am nearly certain that I left them at that particular place. So -- maybe a maid added to her wardrobe. Or maybe I was wrong, despite my near certainty. Either way, there was no getting back those clothes (and my husband looked *nice* in that blazer) or getting compensation for them.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement