Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
It is rare for a married couple to file separately for tax purposes and come out with a lower tax liability. There are isolated instances, but for the most part, just assume that you should file jointly.

Also, most tax software will automatically calculate both joint and separate for you, so you won't really have to do anything differently.

One thing you may want to do is check out a copy of the book called, "Couples and Cash: How to Handle Money with Your Honey". It has some great tips for how to handle finances as a couple (much different than going at it as a single guy).


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.