Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
It is really up to the business to set the value, but if they want a 'standard', I would go with market value. However, be careful how you write up the donation certificate.

A few years ago I did some consulting work for a non-profit organization. We looked in to getting me a tax break in exchange for my time worked. Unfortunately, individuals can't 'donate professional time' to non-profit organizations for a tax deduction.

I suspect it works the other way for your organization. I wouldn't 'bill time' to a business and ask for a charitable contribution for that specific amount. The business has to make a cash contribution based on what they think the value of your services has been (which could be based on hours worked * market value for skill).

I'm assuming that is what you were planning on anyway, just wanted to be sure :)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.