UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zarin100 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25  
Subject: Re: Followers rise... Date: 3/22/2002 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
It looks good to me but what do you like about ATN and it's future?

Hi there!
Yes, not only it looks good, it's been performing even better. What I like about it? It's been the number one merchandiser and licensor in NASCAR. High margins that indicate little-to-no competition, dominant market share, apparently competent management. Though,at this point I can't state that I know the business inside out. The balance sheet is strong, they've got quality earnings as well. It's a cash cow.
During recent recovery they seem to have cut costs, implemented strong controls,eliminated slow-moving inventory and refocused on our core strengths (they also rewarded managemant team accordingly, f.Wagenhals's,CEO bonus for 2001 was $1million. But that I guess, is a part of SG&A costs).

TRhe future outlook is quite optimistic consider increasing popularity of NASCAR. Brand name (or names) is in place, who hasn't heard of D.Earnhardt and son? Although, as Ben Graham stated "Obvious prospects for physical growth in a business do not translate into obvious profits for investors.."

And, do you know what all the legal fuss is about in some of the earlier posts (i.e. Are you conerned about it?)

No, I'm not concerned about it. In fact on Feb28,02 ATN released an article claiming: "As a result of the new agreement, Speedway and Action have agreed that all prior issues have been fully resolved and that the pending lawsuit filed earlier by Speedway's racetracks will be dismissed.

Bill Brooks, VP of Speedway Motorsports, said, "We are pleased to put this matter behind us and to be able to continue our mutually beneficial business relationshipwith Action"."

I still think it's not cheap right now. PE might be a little lower that its estimated growth rate, but I'll hold off and expect better levels to buy in on this. It's a tune in later one. Love the performance though. Might qualify as a turnaround.

Also if you're a fan of Foolish8 criteria, really like DYII, it should qualify....

Foolishly,
MP
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement