Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
It looks to me as though the IRS wants to know the employER contribution to an employees HSA account on that Form.

Easter knows the employer contribution amount, but apparently it was not reported on the W2.

Are you and Easter completely sure that the account is an HSA (Health Savings Account)? Employers can also contribute to an HRA (Health Reimbursement Account), and the terminology can be confused easily, since HRAs also help people save money on healthcare costs, so they can be mistakenly referred to as HSAs. And, from page 17 of IRS Pub 969 :

Unlike HSAs or Archer MSAs which must be reported on Form 1040 or Form 1040NR, there are no reporting requirements for HRAs on your income tax return.

One quick question can help figure this issue out - Was the medical insurance plan for 2011 a qualified HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan)? If not, the account isn't an HSA, since HSAs can only be set up when used in conjunction with HDHPs.

Pub 969 has details about HSAs, HRAs and HDHPs that Easter might want to take a look at so that she can confirm that the correct terminology is being used.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.