Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1219  
Subject: Re: Is Hasbro undervalued? Date: 7/9/2007 11:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
it may settle in at the $250M domestic mark (and maybe as much as $500M worldwide)...

It will be interesting to see what happens when Harry Potter enters the ring. Harry will certainly appeal to the same young people but I think Transformers will see adults returning their children to see it a second and third time. If so, the $300 million level is certainly possible (where Pirates, SP-3, and Shrek all approached).

Normally, I'd say your estimates are way too weak but Harry clouds the picture. Still, I think the worldwide is way off. If this movies doesn't do $750+ million worldwide I will be surprised.

One reason to be optimistic about the foreign market is that the movie has not opened in over half of the markets. The UK, China, Japan, and Germany (to name a few) should all embrace this movie. I would expect it to do well in the Middle East too.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=transformers06.htm

I got this from Wilipedia:

The opening domestic gross was 50% more than what Paramount Pictures expected, with one executive attributing it to word of mouth telling "the parents that it's OK to take the kids." A Cinemascope poll indicated the film was most popular with children and parents, including older women, and attracted many African American and Latino viewers.

Also, this may be old news but it is good news for the future:

On May 30, 2007, Dreamworks greenlit two sequels to Transformers, and Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox and Peter Cullen signed on to return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_2007

The boom in movie ticket sales should be good news for toy sales. I have not found a DVD release date but it will probably come at Thanksgiving -- giving a boost to both DVD and toy sales.

Hasbro investors should be pleased with how this is developing.

W.D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement