UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: update Date: 8/8/2013 5:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It needs a new compressor for the a/c, but that's not happening any time soon.

Maybe you will get lucky like I did, Ishtar, and find a decent mechanic to replace the compressor for you with a sound used one for $150, including evacuating and recharging the system. I thought he did quite a bit, and did a good job, so I paid him an extra $50, and added his phone number to my list of contacts on my cell phone. I would have liked the serpentine (and timing) belts replaced while he was at it, but he said there weren't any cracks in the serpentine belt on the car, and it has a non-interference type engine, so no major engine damage will result if the timing belt should break, again - If the timing belt should break, it will cost me a tow, but, if it breaks here, I know where to have it towed - Otherwise, if the timing belt should break, it's around a $400-$600 repair bill. IF the car had an interference type engine, a new engine would be required if the timing belt breaks, because, in all probability, the valves and pistons will collide, causing severe internal engine damage. In those types of engines, the timing belt should be replaced every 80,000 or so miles, as you risk having to replace the engine, vs just replacing the belt - You can verify that information on TMF's car board http://boards.fool.com/buying-and-maintaining-a-car-100143.a... or with any qualified mechanic, if you wish.

Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement