UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eslovick Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308480  
Subject: Re: Call from Lawyer Date: 5/27/2001 1:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
It really sounds like the guy who is calling you is a bill collector. He was trying to scare you into sending money. Since you called back and got the credit company, and not a law firm, that pretty well confirms that.
They are trying to frighten you into just sending them some money. You have good intentions and tried to work with them, but they didn't sound like they were willing to realistically work with you. If someone is having trouble making a $100 dollar payment, they won't have $7000 laying around, or $2500 a month to spare. It sounds like a credit collection part of the same credit company that you were dealing with initially.
I agree that you need to write down everything this guy said, so the next time you talk with them you can quote it back to them.
They are working on the basis that you will be terrified to go to court. I have always answered them with "fine, let's go to court", and they suddenly seem willing to work with me in a reasonable fashion. Don't let them scare you. You are willing to work things out.
There are probably a lot of folks that won't agree with me on this, but I have said things like, "fine, I can just declare bankruptcy, and then you won't get anything, or we can work out a payment plan". Never actually intending to declare bankruptcy, but using the same methods that they were using back on them. I mean, if they are going to be that way, just use their tactics until they back off and start being reasonable about a payment plan.
Just my thoughts. I just hate to hear that they are bullying you.

Beth
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement