Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2725  
Subject: Re: A can a mile Date: 4/8/2012 1:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
It seems fitting that I should upload this on the day before everyone goes on their Easter Egg hunt. I'll be out there too; picking up aluminum Easter "eggs" with my robot grabber arm.

Here's another update on my exercising / can collecting efforts. I've come to realize that although in the beginning I started picking up empty aluminum cans while on my walks out of boredom they have now become the focus of my exercise walks. We walk the same one mile route through the neighborhood everyday (yup seven days a week now) and it ain't like walkin' through the woods.

At least walking through the woods I have a chance to see wild birds rabbits, squirrels and maybe an occasional deer or something. All we've got in my neighborhood is White-winged doves that have become so tame they're more like pigeons and backyard dogs for whom my passing on the public sidewalk provides (seemingly) the only entertainment of the day so they bark (and bark and bark) appreciatively.

(I've found that calmly saying "Hello dog" several times as I approach, pass and leave seems to, over time, accustom them to my presence so that at least the medium sized dogs eventually come to tolerate my passing. All the smaller dogs and Chihuahuas refuse my entreaties for peace and yap incessantly. Also, where there's one dog barking others will join in even though they can't see what they're barking at. One even barks while running in a small circle so as to be sure to bark at his target.)

At any rate, I've found that picking up empty aluminum cans is the thing that keeps me walking. I've no doubt that if I was simply walking that same boring route day after day I'd have stopped long ago.

Picking up empty aluminum cans turns boring walks into treasure hunts. Although I come back empty handed some days, often as not I return with a can or two; sometimes a dozen or more. And since the church lady donates them to a good cause for me the whole thing becomes my Trifecta:
1.) I get exercise which is good for me.
2.) I clean up the neighborhood which is good for the neighborhood.
3.) I donate the cans to the church lady who donates them to church which does 'churchy' things with the money from selling the cans which is good for the entire community.

(Blast from the past)
DesertDave's Helpful Hint
In the entrance lobby of the Cracker Barrel restaurants they sell a handy dandy little plastic toy "robot arm" made by a company called "Toysmith" which is a toy version of those long grabbers they use in stores to grab stuff off of high shelves. The arm is only about 18 inches long, but I don't have to bend over so far to pick up cans or put my arm into park trash barrels. IIRC the thing cost me less than six bucks.
http://boards.fool.com/just-an-update-on-our-recycling-of-al...
------------------------------------

My trusty ol' grabber arm lost a rubber tip on one of its claws and a few weeks ago the plastic handle developed a crack so I replaced my "robot arm" grabber at the Cracker Barrel the other day. It was $5.99 + tax back then, the new one was $6.99+ tax.

But I'm not complaining because the longer metal commercial versions of the grabber arm I've seen cost ten to twenty dollars.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement