UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308847  
Subject: Re: Advice Needed Date: 3/4/2003 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 25
It sounds like you have a hole in the ship you haven't found yet. My guess would be the truth lies in tiny expenses deemed "fixed".

If you list your budget (including clothes, groceries, cell phone, etc.) here, we will be able to help you better. If you don't know these numbers, then you need to track expenses for an entire month. Write down everything you spend, from the pack of gum to the mortgage payment. At the end of this month, go back through and categorize each purchase (in groceries, household, clothing, etc.). When I did this exercise, I found a lot of CDs and DVDs included in the "grocery" column, as we shop at WalMart. That was a good category to cut from, as it saved us about $75 a month right off the bat.

NOW, on to the CCs. If you are having cash flow problems, don't even consider another loan! You need to work on the ones you have RIGHT NOW. Make a commitment that the car loan you just incurred is the last one for at least two years. By that time, the notion of borrowing your way out of debt should be gone from your head. It's a nice concept, but it never works. Why?

1) It doesn't change the habits that got you into debt.
2) It doesn't get rid of the debt, just moves it around.
3) By moving CC debt to a Home Loan, you are moving unsecured debt to secured debt. If you miss a few payments on your CC, they are just mean to you. If you miss a few on your house, they take it away.

MBNA: $11,500 balance of $15,000 credit line at 19.99% (They just raised my interest rate because they insist I am a "credit risk".)

You are. You have a vehicle loan for at least 5 years, you just refinanced your house, and you are in CC debt to the tune of $38000. You are a credit risk. PLus, MBNA is kinda poopyheaded, and kick to raise rates. Both things combined = rates raised. Sorry, nothing you can do about it except pay them off.

Discover Card: $5,000 @ 10.74%, $3,000 @ 9.9% thru 06/03, $4,000 @ 5.9% thru 09/03 Credit limit: $12,000

You are paying the highest rate right now, as you can't touch those lower rate balances until the $5k is payed off.

First USA: $3,300 @ 5.9% for the life of the loan
AT&T: $5,700 @ 4.9% (introductory rate may run out, not sure)

Find out if it does.

Chase: $5,500 @ 8.74%

Okay, questions:
1) How much are you paying to each of these in minimum payments each month?
2) How much above and beyond that amount can you use towards paying off debt?

Once we get those two things figured out, we can move on to a PLAN. Plans, my dear, are the heart of a debt reduction plan.

impolite
can't wait to dive in...please post the numbers!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement