Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
It usually comes up around the Christian holidays. People ask me what I'm doing for Easter, for example, and when I say I'm not Christian, they want to know what I am. When I can't hand them the appropriately labelled post-it note to put on my forehead, they get very confused.

Ah... I think I see the problem. You're too honest, open and trusting. :D (j/k) But yeah, people live by labeling others. Sad, but true. I think it's a survival trait - a shortcut taken during times of information overload.

I rarely tell people I'm not Christian unless I'm prepared to go all the way with it. I get the same thing when someone asks me if I caught some show on TV last night. "I don't watch TV." "<blank stare> What do you do for entertainment?" "Read books on comparative religion and quantum physics." "<head shake> <edge-away>"

Seriously, though, I have enough friends with Christian relatives that I can usually count on a spot at someone's holiday feast (Life Rule #1: never turn down a free meal). So "What are you doing for Easter?" "Dinner at x's house." No one's asked me if I go to church. Yet.

I don't like to lie. Apart from the ethical issues, I can't keep track of everything I say, so I try not to stray from the truth as I see it at a particular moment. But I also don't feel the need to proclaim my chosen path to everyone who asks, so I feel some evasion can be appropriate. Some may say this is not being true to oneself, but I see it more as protective camouflage - is the chameleon being untrue to itself when it changes color to match its surroundings? No, it's still a chameleon, only avoiding potentially hostile situations.

Just my own opinion and experiences :)

Peace,
El
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement