UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308543  
Subject: Re: update Date: 8/7/2013 2:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It was an enjoyable hobby for me. I sold some cars I wish I hadn't, among them my first car, a 1956 Chevy convertible.

Another car I liked was a 1964 MG Midget. I bought the car from an Insurance client for $75 - It didn't run and the body was pretty banged up, but solid. The guys daughter's boyfriend had an argument with the daughter and drove the P out of it, leaving the car parked parked on a street, after disconnecting the fuel line. I had it towed to my home, reconnected the fuel line, backed out of the driveway, shifted to first gear and drove about 3 ft before the transmission locked up... I backed up and drove forward another 3 ft, when it locked up again - I backed into the driveway and later pulled the engine and transmission - The car had a plate under the transmission, so I couldn't remove them separately. After removing the engine and transmission, I dismantled both. The insides of the transmission were in good condition, but the bearing flanges were wallowed out. I bought a used transmission with a sound case, but the synchronizers were badly worn, so I swapped the insides of the one into the case of the other - done, for $85, plus some sealant, lubricant and around 6 hours of rebuild time.

I went pretty cheap on rebuilding the motor - The was an arc on the crankshaft. I took it to a local machine shop to regrind... When I picked it up, there was a little bit of arc left on the journals, but I figured the machine shop knew what their work, and used it - I rebuilt the engine, installed the transmission on it, and put it back in the car... The engine started knocking after 75 miles. *sigh*

I pulled the engine and transmission, again, removed the transmission and clutch, disassemble the engine, took the crankshaft to the machine shop and asked for a refund, of the $25 they charged me to grind the crankshaft - I thought that a simple request, all things considered. The shop foreman refused the refund. I asked him why, and what else could have caused the motor to fail in such a short time frame - He responded, "Dirt"... I had cleaned the engine and its oil galleries pretty extensively, at a car wash, but not had it hot tanked. He had also checked the rods, found 2 bent and straightened them. I took the parts to a machine shop that machined engines for race cars. They machined the crankshaft and check the rods - found 2 still bent, and straightened them. I told them that I did not want to pull and rebuild the engine again, and asked if there was a way to assure that the rods were perfectly straight - Their reply was that they could ream out the old bushings, in the upper end of the rods, as the piston wrist pins floated in the upper end of the rods, rather than the pistons, in the particular motor, and then the lower and upper ends of the rods would be perfectly perpendicular. I axed them how much that would cost - $40. I asked if there was anything else they could do to assure that have to rebuild the motor again. They recommended balancing the motor (crankshaft, rods, pistons and flywheel), as doing so would "add to longevity." I asked how much - $80... I didn't blink an eye at accepting that - When I put it back together, it ran like a sewing machine.

I replaced the convertible top and installed new upholstery - pretty simple.

The owners of a body shop wanted to go on a vacation, and keep their accomplished sons out of trouble, so they charged them with straightening and repainting the car with a white acrylic enamel and black rocker panels, with a hardener that was impervious to bird droppings, bugs and tree sap, or eggs, for that matter. The car looked, ran and cornered exceptionally... The reason I sold it was that pickup trucks and SUVs tended to tailgate, at the level of my head, to an extent that could/would decapitate me.

That's some of my background, FWIW.

Bob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement