UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pleached Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6630  
Subject: Re: Need Linux for Non-Geeks Date: 1/26/2008 11:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It was DriveScrubber 3, which I wanted to use to clean out the hard drive on that computer.

So you want to use your linux box to scrub other drives? Doesn't look like drivescrubber has a linux version and I'm kinda thinking that this isn't something that you want to do under wine. You can actually do this with native GNU/linux tools using /bin/du, but I wouldn't recommend that you try this until you are much better oriented to your system and how it works.

You might take a look at a utility called wipe ( http://www.linux.org/apps/AppId_914.html ), which sort of wraps a lot of the job, but even then, you'll want to be familiar enough with linux so that you can confidently identify the device that you are going to wipe. And even then, if you want to really securely purge a disk, the only way to do it is to shred it. There are probably places near you where you can bring a hard drive to be shredded.

As for becoming root, on installation SUSE should have prompted you to create a root or administrator account. You should be able to become root by simply typing in the xterm:

su -

and then type the password at the prompt. ( copy and paste the line above and hit enter. the trailing '-' is not a typo :) )

From there you can just cut and paste the commands that I listed and see what the output is. /bin/grep is just a regular expression utility. The command that I listed will pull out any lines in your system log that match any of your interface names ( unless they are oddly named ).
( you can do a google search for 'grep' or just man grep for more info that you want or need about how to use the command :) )

You can also just search through your menus and see if you can find a network configuration tool and see how your network is configured. the point of grepping through your system logs was to see if there were errors messages there that would allow me to explain/debug problems that you might be seeing. typically this stuff really does just work out of the box. and typically for the most recent distros, you set everything up using simple gui tools.

But when all else fails, the nice thing about unix sytems in general ( including linux ) is that everything for the configuration of your system is in a text file somewhere ( typically under /etc ).

It shouldn't be hard. Just need to see how things are currently configured and what the particular problem is and we should have you up in no time.

best,
dan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement