UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: Re: Best way to invest in a ROTH IRA Date: 9/20/2005 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It will cost more now than investing in a no-load mutual fund, but the end amount of money in the Roth will be the same regardless of the amount it costs to get it there.

Um, I'm not sure this is true. You can only put $4K into the fund. The load is taken out by the mutual fund so by that point your contribution has already hit your yearly limit. So you're down $230 off the bat and will remain down 5.75% for the rest of your investing lifetime (although each dividend reinvestment probably also takes 5.75%, so all your dividend earnings will also lose 5.75%.

Even if the above *was* true, which I still doubt (depending on exactly who it taking the fee, I guess), then you're still paying $4244 in order to get that $4K into the account, again losing out on $244 right off the bat.

I, and the vast majority of Fools, are completely in the camp that there is no way you should pay this. Thank him for his time and take your investing to one of the mentioned mutual fund companies/brokerages who will not charge you a load. You are completely correct to be uncomfortable with this.

If you know him personally and/or like his advice, perhaps you could ask if he would be willing to do an annual for-fee, not for-commission, review with you and your wife. That way his advice is certainly intended in your best interest and not to line his own pockets (and that of the fund company).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement