No. of Recommendations: 1
This machine allows anyone to work for minimum wage for as long as they like. Turning the crank on the side releases one penny every 4.97 seconds, for a total of $7.25 per hour.
http://i.imgur.com/7cGCtDq.jpg

If you want to earn more you'll have to find a machine that pays more.
Print the post Back To Top
Nice balloons :-)

Happy Balloon Day

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 0

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_in_Canada...
Nice balloons :-)

Happy Balloon Day

Thanks.

My statement stands.

Desert (in Canada too) Dave
No. of Recommendations: 6

My statement stands.

Desert (in Canada too) Dave

Chatting with SIL yesterday, he is all excited because he finally completed his acquisition of a small Alberta company that had 14 employees. The whole thing got loaded into a rail car and is on its way to his warehouse in Nova Scotia. He has warehouse staff and shipping people there so he will be able to run it with just two (possibly a third later) additional staff to add to his current staff of I think around 35-40. I'm not the business guy but that sounds like pretty good synergy to me? At current sales rate the addition will pay for itself in four years but he says he can increase sales significantly as he can give the product a lot of exposure that it didn't have with the elderly couple that owned and ran it.

This was his first acquisition of another operating company and he says he learned a lot of lessons that would have been useful before he started. Major lesson learned is that when dealing with elderly people forced to give up their life's work it is good to make sure everything is up front before making the buy decision. He had a lot of problems with seller’s remorse and trying to change things as well as the two lawyers getting at loggerheads with each other.

He pays his staff well above minimum wage because he rarely has to hire and train new people and they don't steal from him (his words). Apparently he used to have high turnover and lots of product losses when he first started out but his wife suggested some changes.

Somewhat amusing the vast majority of his staff now are women over 40 who returned to the workforce after raising their family. He says they are smart, appreciate the job and provide solutions before describing problems when they call him. He mostly stays well away from the warehouse as they do get a bit catty with each other sometimes and that is the warehouse manager's problem. }};-D

Note: The physical product is made in the US while the "thoughts" that make it special came from the female side of the couple in Alberta.

Any <It’s ok if you disagree with me. I can’t force you to be right> mouse
...The physical product is made in the US while the "thoughts" that make it special came from the female side of the couple...

Well now, I've got to know. Is the ribbed ones or the colored ones that the lady designed (or both)?

Other than condoms, the only product I can think of that meets your description is greeting cards.

;-)
No. of Recommendations: 2
... he is all excited because he finally completed his acquisition of a small Alberta company that had 14 employees. The whole thing got loaded into a rail car and is on its way to his warehouse in Nova Scotia.

Wait, what? What about evil corporations destroying jobs? Did he throw the 14 now unemployed workers a sop and offer to hire 2 or 3 of them if they'd move?

I'm not the business guy but that sounds like pretty good synergy to me?

It is from a businessman's point of view (mine) but doesn't fit in with the liberal point of view that the main job of businesses is to provide jobs. Sounds like your SIL knows what he's doing.

Major lesson learned is that when dealing with elderly people forced to give up their life's work it is good to make sure everything is up front before making the buy decision.

Sounds like the old couple didn't really want to retire but were forced (by age and/or health?) to. We were lucky in that respect in that we decided we'd had enough fun* and wanted to retire while we still could enjoy our retirement.

We were also lucky in that we found an in house buyer (one of our employees) and didn't have to search for strangers to negotiate the sale with.

I'm glad to see that SIL was smart and got a lawyer. Too many people try to negotiate major deals without one.

Paying my staff well above minimum wage was a "secret plan" I also used to retain experienced and valued employees. Although I did not have to worry about them stealing from us.

And yes my experience confirms your SIL's: women over 40 make good workers and they were first generation Koreans (like my wife) who know the value of work and worked hard. (In contrast I hired one of the daughters of one of them (second generation) and the teenaged girl came in and started reading a book!) That was a short experiment.

Note: The physical product is made in the US while the "thoughts" that make it special came from the female side of the couple in Alberta.

Condoms with love poems and/or pickup lines printed on the wrappers?

*Success in life is deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life and then finding a way to get paid for doing it.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Wait, what? What about evil corporations destroying jobs? Did he throw the 14 now unemployed workers a sop and offer to hire 2 or 3 of them if they'd move?

Actually yes he did offer... but they live in Alberta where if you can't find a job you are dead.

He also made a deal with the former owner to each half fund a termination bonus for all of them.

but doesn't fit in with the liberal point of view

... er I thought we had talked about that terminology on METaR? }};-(

WENDY!!!! can I help with the flogging can I can I!!!
Actually yes he did offer... but they live in Alberta where if you can't find a job you are dead.

Had to comment -- in Alberta flipping burgers pays about $80,000, but it's Canadian ;-)

Bob ... whose son graduated high school in Banff while playing hockey
RYR Home Fool
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Had to comment -- in Alberta flipping burgers pays about $80,000, but it's Canadian ;-)

I think in Fort McMurray Tim Horton's coffee counter staff were getting $20 an hour and they couldn't hang on to them. There are signs on the street from the oil service companies offering paid training and all sorts of other benefits.

Any <didn't make that when I was there in the late 1960s> mouse
"Had to comment -- in Alberta flipping burgers pays about $80,000, but it's Canadian ;-)"

I flipped burgers at the ballpark for my daughter's swim team fundraisers. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I am not smart enough to earn a living without a law degree.

(singed hand hairs, raw and/or burnt burgers, sore back...)
(singed hand hairs, raw and/or burnt burgers, sore back...)

Well you are a lawyer.

Any <has two of them in the family... not sure how to tell people about that bit> mouse

RK's favourite lawyer joke: "99% of lawyers are ruining the reputation of the rest of us".
"Any <has two of them in the family... not sure how to tell people about that bit> mouse"

At confessional?
"Any <has two of them in the family... not sure how to tell people about that bit> mouse"

At confessional?

Hmmmm wouldn't work for me... they won't let me in. }};-D

Old Air Force joke paraphrased as it used to be about sailors.

Dear Ann Landers

I met the girl of my dreams and want to introduce her to my family. The problem is that my dad is a pedophile and is serving time, mom is an alcoholic drug dealer, my eldest brother was a bank robber and just got out of jail for killing his wife in a domestic dispute, two of my sisters are prostitutes and finally my younger brother is a lawyer. I'm just not sure how to tell her about the lawyer in the family.
Paying my staff well above minimum wage was a "secret plan" I also used to retain experienced and valued employees.

While the corporation I was working for had several rounds (i.e. "business cycles") of encouraging early retirement so they didn't need to lay off people.

In essence, rewarding the valued and experienced employees if they'd leave.
whose son graduated high school in Banff while playing hockey

Did he wear the skates and stuff to the graduation ceremony?

Or did he play hockey in cap & gown?

;-)
Advertisement