UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hackshark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: CD Ladders vs Bonds vs Bond Funds Date: 4/24/2003 5:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

It would be worth looking back a couple of years to see if CDs had lower yields than equivalent treasury funds. Of course, when interest rates were higher, there was a much better chance of interest rates going down than there is now, so even if the CD rate was higher, the bond find might have been the better bet, thanks to the possibility of a capital gain.

Loki-

I see your point, I just think a lot of this is minutae for anyone with a substantially long event horizon. Going far enough out, it is a zero sum game, (or better stated, it SHOULD be). There is a certain cost of capital. It doesn't vary (much) from one kind of government-backed instrument to another. Any small difference are likely ot be very small, and probably random. And if they weren't random, then start up a hedge fund and exploit it but don't tell anyone because the difference would soon become negligible again.

A lot of people spin their wheels on their own personal theories. Rise up above the forest and realize that the cost of money is a commodity, and neither you nor I are likely to have the tools necessary to truly exploit any market inefficiency.

This isn't meant as a rant, I just am commenting how frequently I see discussions like this on the boards, when everyone thinks they've figured out some way to jack up the return. Interest in government backed debt is a commodity - probably one of the largest commodities in the world. There is no way that one class of US govt backed debt is going to consistently perform substantially better than another. If you believe in indexing, then go with the Total Bond Index fund and spread out among maturities and risks in just one fund. If interest rate changes worry you, there are ways of hedging that (seldom discussed on this board though) - gold metal & futures & mining stocks, interest rate futures and swaps, shorting treasuries.

My thing against CDs is the limit. I don't want to have to keep adding new accounts to get around the 100k limit, and if we ever actually need that limit things will be far worse off than most of us could imagine anyway.

-hack
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement