Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone with experience doing this?

I heard you can deduct $4K/year on your federal return for education expenses.
A few questions:

1) If you exceed $4K for 2004, can you "carry-over" the expense to 2005 (like you can with capital losses)?

2) Do you calculate the amount you spent on education based on when you paid or when the paid expenses were used for (i.e. if you paid for educational expenses in Dec. 2004 for the Spring 2005 semester, does it count under tax year 2004 or 2005)?

3) Can you "split" the deduction between 2004/2005 tax years (given the situation presented in #2)?

Any links to IRS pages addressing this are highly appreciated!

This question is not directly applicable to me (it addresses a friend's situation), but I am just curious. Thanks!

- Illini2001
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.