Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Illini2001 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Itemizing education expenses Date: 2/9/2005 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone with experience doing this?

I heard you can deduct $4K/year on your federal return for education expenses.
A few questions:

1) If you exceed $4K for 2004, can you "carry-over" the expense to 2005 (like you can with capital losses)?

2) Do you calculate the amount you spent on education based on when you paid or when the paid expenses were used for (i.e. if you paid for educational expenses in Dec. 2004 for the Spring 2005 semester, does it count under tax year 2004 or 2005)?

3) Can you "split" the deduction between 2004/2005 tax years (given the situation presented in #2)?

Any links to IRS pages addressing this are highly appreciated!

This question is not directly applicable to me (it addresses a friend's situation), but I am just curious. Thanks!

- Illini2001
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76484 of 121585
Subject: Re: Itemizing education expenses Date: 2/9/2005 10:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Here's all the info from the IRS on Education expenses :
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/index.html

No carryover and the deductions are in the year they are paid. (It can sometimes make it worthwhile to pay a late fee to pay in a different year). Be sure to pass along the whole pub.

rad

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement