UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: The Millionaire Twins Next Door Date: 11/26/2013 4:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
It's a rare financial advisor that will do better for you than just putting you money in an S&P index fund.

Why do those that argue against advice always make this comparison?

Do you have all your money in a S&P Index Fund? Would you recommend everyone, regardless of risk tolerance and need for income invest 100% in the S&P?

it's that rarely is anything of real value delivered for that fee.

It always seems that you folks think one-dimensional - beating an index. Advice is rarely, in my experience, about trying to beat an index. It is far more about education, risk and loss avoidance, financial planning (working on POAs, wills and trusts), maximizing social security, etc. The vast majority of people I meet don't even understand the differences between a Roth and a traditional IRA. They don't know the tax benefits they may receive from a 529 plan. They don't understand how they can file and suspend their social security allowing their spouse to claim spousal benefits now.

If you don't like paying a fee, don't - but there is no reason to look down on those that don't have the time, interest, knowledge, or desire to do all of their planning on their own.

Some people love math and hate to read, some people are just the opposite. I see no reason to heap scorn on those that simply have a different preference.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement