Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BDKliewer Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10679  
Subject: Re: General Cheerleading Post Date: 4/5/2000 10:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
It's all my fault. I've noted before that when I get bullish on E*Trade it goes down. When I said that I was buying (even a tiny bit) yesterday, that should have been everybody's cue to head for the hills. So I shouldn't be cheerleading...

Argh! I just can't help myself!

Take a look at a comparative graph of E*Trade, Ameritrade, and Schwab. See how Schwab been outperforming E*Trade (and Ameritrade) over the last three and six months. Has Schwab really retaken the initiative in the field? To be fair, if you look at the two year graph they've pretty much converged (and Ameritrade leads by a wide margin).

My assumptions:

Two years ago, E*Trade was absurdly undervalued because most investors did not believe that a) E*Trade was really an internet merchant and not just a stock broker, b) E*Trade had any potential to widen its scope to a financial portal rather than a stock broker, c) E*Trade had any competitive or branding power that would give it any advantage over the hundreds of competitors that would be nipping at its heels, d) the aforementioned competitors would not force E*Trade to lower it's commission rates to $4 or $8 per trade, e) that eBusiness has a very high price of entry, particularly if you are late to the game.

As a business, E*Trade has executed better than Schwab over the last two years (and has absolutely trounced Ameritrade).

Over the next several years, E*Trade will continue to execute better than Schwab, but maybe by not quite so wide a margin.

Long term, the market is a weighing machine (I believe that comes from one of the Gardners but it might have been Lynch or Buffet) and short term it is a voting machine (readily seen by the wide disparities on those long range graphs of the three brokers).

I therefore believe (rightly or wrongly):

E*Trade weighs more than Schwab. On a comparative basis, it should be higher after two years. Schwab itself may be significantly undervalued (they are executing very well, they just carry more baggage) which only adds to the potential upside.

I will be looking very closely at the comparative numbers on these three companies in the upcoming earnings announcements. I've been working out some numbers for myself so I have an (internally) objective lens to view the actuals through. I have to know whether E*Trade missed, met or exceeded my expectations, market be damned.

As an aside, I am aiming to make my write up of this upcoming event as my three star post (500th). I was also aiming to get my recommendations up to at least 10%, but I've already passed that. It's tough work because I've been so busy since that rating system was added and the bulk of my posts predated the change.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement