UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: icono5 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753344  
Subject: Re: Jeff Foxworthy: Which Side of the Fence? Date: 2/4/2013 12:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
It's amusing (to me) to revisit this thread after a few days and see what thoughtful (har-har) ad hominem points have crept my way.

Actually, I devote a fair bit of my time and resources to private charitable efforts. The assumption that it's "either/or"--that we must choose between private and public initiatives in every instance is simply a false choice.

As to the various claims that I, the "idiot," made in the OP? It should go without saying (or writing), but I never claimed to favor a centralized economy or to oppose freedom. I never claimed that people are greedy while politicians are benevolent. I never claimed to believe in a "command economy." Moreover, the particulars of my post don't support any of those particular claims or deductions.

Rather than venting about my idiocy, you might try examining the particulars of my post. It's hard work, I know, but you can do it! It seems that some, when confronted by peaceful opposition, can only default to their laundry list of ludicrous lamentations against liberals --as if we all thought the same, reached the same conclusions, and had identical biases and presuppositions. Just like conservatives and moderates, liberals come from diverse backgrounds and frames of reference. Pay attention to the particulars of those and you might learn something--assuming that your goal is education, not simply (and fruitlessly) Triumph with an overwhelming "T."

Steve

----------

<<Great to hear, I do as well. Both professionally and personally. However, how we achieve such means is where we greatly diverge. I care how others do by donating my time and personal cash. Since you are a Democrat, I assume that you care by taxing others and having the government spend the money.>>

"I really never fail to wonder where these idiots get their ideas from.

Do they really believe that the good of all is served when a central authority makes the decisions and enforces sharing?

Do they really believe that freedom does not yield better results for folks than a carefully guided and guarded existence?

They have convinced themselves that only they care, and other are out for themselves. Therefore, they are going to elect politicians to enforce fairness and contain the greedy!

Even if you do not believe as conservatives typically do that freedom yields the most prosperity for the poor-end of story - what kind of an idiot decides people are too greedy and a politician is going to end up being the arbiter of all that is fair; thus, in order to transcend greed--put a politician in charge?

There is just so much dumb in the liberal idea of a command economy and the tools for it to be a good thing that there is no place to start, it is simply so moronic to actually believe in it, that rational argument can not have value against it."
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement