No. of Recommendations: 0
It's been a week since I asked my previous employer the same question, and still haven't seen a response.

It's very unlikely that your employer will attempt to give tax advice per se. What they should tell you is whether you will be able to transfer funds from your 401(k) directly to a particular provider. That is, if you figure out what you want to do and explain it to them very, very clearly, they should tell you whether you can do that, and perhaps how long it should take. They are not likely to tell you what the tax consequences might be, except when it involves the phrase "We will be required to withhold..." because that's all they can guarantee -- it's all they are directly involved in.

Note that when you and I are saying "former employer", we presumably mean "former employer or administrator of the savings plan/401(k) of former employer".

Does anyone know where I can find the IRS Publications online?


Hope that helps,
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.