UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: highonamt Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76396  
Subject: Re: IRA decision: No children Date: 3/11/2006 12:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's easy to assume incorrectly sometimes.
I appreciate your concern, but we're getting along better than lots of people I know who work hard every day. We have our health, a large extended family that we can count on if something like Katrina ever happened to us, a roof over our heads, and food on the table.

We're just fine tuning some decisions.
I would be considered self-employed but as stated before the work is off and on. Some of the self employed type plans would not help as much to me as putting a set amount of money consistently in a IRA for the next fifteen years.

I'm only asking for help making a IRA decision.
If I tried to list out all the reasons for decisions we've made, it would take pages. Early in our lives we took care of a number of love ones and burried five people in seven years. No regrets, we did what we felt was right in taking care of our friends and family even if it did mean a "late start' in other matters.

We're basically a one-income family. We've chosen to live where we live because it is safe and for the most part is a community we feel happy to live and raise a family. We have some land and other savings for retirement. I quit trying to get a regular job years ago, as have many here, because I was always told I was overqualified, whenever I did make the cut for a interview. We decided to get by with one income instead of stressing over trying to have two.

I feel for those workers who have made "the right decisions and more importantly "taken the right actions" and something unjust happens that causes problems. You might be surprised how strong you are and what you can deal with when you make your own decisions.

To me the most important thing in preparing for retirement is to stay or get healthy and have strong healthy relationships with people who respect and love you. No amount of money can buy those things.

I might just be spending a lot of time making a decision that in the long run would work out well either way. But since we have no children I thought maybe one IRA might be better than the other. Apparently that is not the case.

Have a great weekend.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement