UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HellertownSmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10536  
Subject: It's Finally Here Date: 3/8/2007 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I asked for advice on Home Theater/Surround Sound. We made our purchase and it's been in the house for a week. And I am very happy to report that we absolutely love it! We spent a long time saving up for this, but I gotta say it was worth it. This is the system we pieced together:

Sony 46" LCD XBR3 TV - 1080p
Denon 2807 A/V Receiver
2 Definitive BP7006 Bi-polar SuperTower Speakers
2 Definitive ProMonitor Surround Speakers
Definitive 1000 Center Channel
Definitive 8" Powered Subwoofer

We are using my old Sony CD player for now and the Sony PlayStation 3's built in Blu-Ray DVD player. I have to say watching an animated Blu-Ray movie (Ice Age 2) was unbelievable. The sound is fantastic. Crystal clear and full of punch. So much more of music, television, and movies is brought out. We have an Denon I-Pod dock on order and I can't wait for that.

All in all, we are thrilled. We have to fight off the kids and their friends to get near it :)

Thanks again for the advise and the good ideas I read on this board.

TC
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3814 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/8/2007 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
We spent a long time saving up for this, but I gotta say it was worth it. This is the system we pieced together:

Sony 46" LCD XBR3 TV - 1080p
Denon 2807 A/V Receiver
2 Definitive BP7006 Bi-polar SuperTower Speakers
2 Definitive ProMonitor Surround Speakers
Definitive 1000 Center Channel
Definitive 8" Powered Subwoofer

We are using my old Sony CD player for now and the Sony PlayStation 3's built in Blu-Ray DVD player. I have to say watching an animated Blu-Ray movie (Ice Age 2) was unbelievable. The sound is fantastic. Crystal clear and full of punch. So much more of music, television, and movies is brought out. We have a Denon I-Pod dock on order and I can't wait for that.

All in all, we are thrilled. We have to fight off the kids and their friends to get near it :)

Thanks again for the advice and the good ideas I read on this board.

TC

It sure is a good feeling when it all ties together, don't it.

There's a review of the Denon 2807 (once you go through the short ad for CNet) at
http://reviews.cnet.com/Denon_AVR_2807/4505-6466_7-31660758.html and why it's an editor's choice as best bang for the buck. Worth seeing.

You're aboutthisfar from looking at your stack of DVDs and saying, “We haven't seen this one in a while. I wonder how it'll look on the new system,” and you're going to be most pleasantly surprised.

Nice system.

MichaelR

Author: 6SpeedFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3815 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/8/2007 5:24 PM
Recommendations: 0
Keep us posted on your adventures with the 2807. I've had one for about a month or so, and am still learning all about it's possibilities. I'm thrilled with it, but I've found it to be a complicated beast.

6Spd

Author: XMFUberman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3816 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/9/2007 1:23 PM
I *love* our DefTech speakers, particular the bipolar surrounds. We ended up replacing our Celestion fronts and center with the DefTech Mythos single front speaker bar, and it is very nice as well.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3817 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/10/2007 12:57 AM
Recommendations: 6
In all, we are thrilled. We have to fight off the kids and their friends to get near it :)

TC

Going to tell you a secret, TC; just don't tell anyone this, okay? Those of us who are into good a/v, either as a hobby or professionally and have been doing so for many years, turn the THX sting up Real Loud so it rattles small ornaments, frightens small animals and makes sufficient seismic waves to register with the local university's geology department. Why? Because we can.

Sure, we talk about speaker resonance, bass response, room reverberation and lots of technical stuff but if truth is told we crank up the THX sting because it is sooooo neat. Each of us has our favorite demo DVD (one of mine is Master and Commander at the point the ship gets hit by cannonball fire) and they all have a certain characteristic: it ain't talking heads. It's definitely not Oprah.

It's virtually guaranteed now you have a nice system you like that a friend (or many) are going to come over and you're going to demonstrate what you have. They'll oooh and aaah over how nice the picture is and, at that point, you'll say, “But you have to see this,” meaning 'You ain't heard nothing yet.'

Then you slap in something that exercises all speakers and has a bass that rumbles at a gut level. We all do it, me included. It's a show off yet why not? You paid a pretty penny for the system so why not show what it can do?

Tell you a quick story. To my brother TV is plug in the TV and cable and that's that. To him all that folderol with multiple speakers just doesn't interest. To him it's a waste: after all, don't TVs come with speakers?

So he's visiting and I have this disc of the Viennese Boys Choir. My brother has a fine singing voice so he listened intently. He said how much he enjoyed it. Then we moved to another disc and he complained the bass was too much. Why? Because TV is small internal speakers and he's used to that level of sound. So I got Sibling's Revenge.

I got a disc with the THX logo and cranked it up Real High. The house shook. Rattles I didn't know we had were exposed. I could see, on the coffee cups on the coffee table, the surface rings as in that scene in Jurassic Park when the Tyrannosaurus Rex start stomping in. Know what he said?

“Michael, you're weird.”

Ain't I though.

MichaelR

Author: BBDok Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3818 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/10/2007 4:59 PM
"Each of us has our favorite demo DVD (one of mine is Master and Commander at the point the ship gets hit by cannonball fire)"

Amen! That's my favorite as well. Shakes the house!
BBDok

Author: HellertownSmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3827 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/15/2007 3:03 PM
There's a review of the Denon 2807 (once you go through the short ad for CNet) at
http://reviews.cnet.com/Denon_AVR_2807/4505-6466_7-31660758.html and why it's an editor's choice as best bang for the buck. Worth seeing.

MichaelR, thanks for posting the review. The more I play with the 2807, the more I love it. Everyday I find something else it can do. We are very pleased with it.

TC

Author: HellertownSmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3828 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/15/2007 3:05 PM
Keep us posted on your adventures with the 2807. I've had one for about a month or so, and am still learning all about it's possibilities. I'm thrilled with it, but I've found it to be a complicated beast.

6Spd, you ain't kiddin'! It's fun learning all the tricks it can do. Although my neighbors might be tiring of me.........

TC

Author: HellertownSmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3829 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/15/2007 3:10 PM
I *love* our DefTech speakers, particular the bipolar surrounds. We ended up replacing our Celestion fronts and center with the DefTech Mythos single front speaker bar, and it is very nice as well.

We absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE our DefTechs as well. I think they deliver a lot of bang for the buck. I've played every kind of music through them, and it is absolutely wonderful. The real fun is watching movies or when the kids play video games. Talk about punch! I've watched more movies in the past two weeks than in the last six months.The Mythos are beautiful. Enjoy them!

TC

Author: HellertownSmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3830 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/15/2007 4:19 PM
Those of us who are into good a/v, either as a hobby or professionally and have been doing so for many years, turn the THX sting up Real Loud so it rattles small ornaments, frightens small animals and makes sufficient seismic waves to register with the local university's geology department. Why? Because we can.

MichaelR, I love this entire post! I admit I have made the floorboards rattle - because I can! There is a big part of me that enjoys learning the finer points of A/V and what her equipment can do, and then there is that other part of me - the one that loves the visceral thrill of CRANKING IT UP! I think I need to find a good 12 step program :)

TC

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3831 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/15/2007 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
Those of us who are into good a/v, either as a hobby or professionally and have been doing so for many years, turn the THX sting up Real Loud so it rattles small ornaments, frightens small animals and makes sufficient seismic waves to register with the local university's geology department. Why? Because we can.

MichaelR, I love this entire post! I admit I have made the floorboards rattle - because I can! There is a big part of me that enjoys learning the finer points of A/V and what her equipment can do, and then there is that other part of me - the one that loves the visceral thrill of CRANKING IT UP! I think I need to find a good 12 step program :)

TC

Part of it is technical. I have test discs that put my speakers through the whole frequency range and the low-frequency 30 Hz does shake things – it's designed to show frequency resonances that interrupt good bass – yet, frankly, it's not as satisfying listening to Master and Commander's transient peaks.

We absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE our DefTechs as well. I think they deliver a lot of bang for the buck. I've played every kind of music through them, and it is absolutely wonderful. The real fun is watching movies or when the kids play video games. Talk about punch! I've watched more movies in the past two weeks than in the last six months.

That made me chuckle since we've all done it surprising ourselves pleasantly at how much data the new system brings out of older media. Movies we enjoyed before become more enjoyable because now the new system brings out a sound scape and picture scope we couldn't pick up before. In the home systems I've helped set up I've asked the owner to pick a favorite movie and each time they've said how better the picture and sound were. That's said because it is and not a justification for buying the system.

MichaelR: thanks for posting the review. The more I play with the 2807, the more I love it. Everyday I find something else it can do. We are very pleased with it.

What has surprised me is that across the past several years a 'good' amp doesn't have to cost a fortune as it did before. At about $1100 the 2807 has specs that cost more than double that a few years ago. Sure, high-end amps have features found on less expensive amps yet, these days, relatively inexpensive amps are studded with high-end features. Couple that with the almost-startling betterment of speaker efficiencies means a Really Good System is in the reach of anyone taking the time to do some minor research.

Question: have you tried out the dts function on the amp? You'll need a dts encoded disc to do this and, my guess is your ears are getting attuned to having Dolby 5.1. you can make a comparison. I always select dts if it's an option on a disc.

Anyone else want to discuss dts vs. Dolby 5.1 and their experience?

MichaelR

Author: Sunrunner4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3832 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/16/2007 3:45 PM

Hohoho. I turned to DTS in the early/mid 90's after a series of demos at the stereophile show in Chicagoa at the Palmer House. It was the early days - laserdisc, baby, LD. Still have the player (and the *ack* Millenium 2.4.6, which was the hot poop back in the stone age) and a set of the discs, as well.

Difference on LD was noticable - shockingly so. I think, as a whole, it's smaller now, differential-wise, on DVD, and on some, I can hear no change at all. With my older Maggies the differences (midrange) were startling.

DTS tends to provide more definition, more precision, and a smoother sound to my ears. In my current digs and setup there's less difference then ever, primarily as a function of the room and setup (bad, and bad, but demanded by Spousal factor). Jurrasic Park in DTS remains one of my guilty-pleasure house-is-empty scenes.

DTS music I've found to be a mixed bag - but some has been quite fun. Hell Freezes Over* is a fine event in multi-channel, and so is Sheryl Crow's Globe Sessions.

The good thing about DTS v DD is there is a difference in sound for most people - and with some sources it's as noticable as vinyl v CD. If you do a blind test make sure you level match! DTS has always seemed to run a bit hot (loud).

Sunrunner4

* Look, you can't have done audio in the early 90's without a well-worn copy. I sold more B&W's 603's with Hotel California then you'd think is possible. And more 805's and Mirage M-790's (showing my age) with Jennifer Warnes Bird on a Wire than you'd think have money to buy.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3833 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 3/17/2007 1:12 AM
Recommendations: 1

Hohoho. I turned to DTS in the early/mid 90's after a series of demos at the stereophile show in Chicago at the Palmer House. It was the early days - laserdisc, baby, LD. Still have the player (and the *ack* Millennium 2.4.6, which was the hot poop back in the stone age) and a set of the discs, as well.

Sunrunner4

Gawd Maude, you're older than dirt. Remember why you bought the LD player? I did it because it had AC-3. Long story short: I wheedled Elly into that we should have a LD player and an amp that processed AC-3. After 22 years of marriage I still get That Look when I plead an upgrade. I got a Pioneer LD player and Pioneer amp (now, sadly, gone in garage sales) yet I remember the first time I got the rig working. I promised Elly this woulkd be the last upgrade we needed. I lied.

Difference on LD was noticeable - shockingly so. I think, as a whole, it's smaller now, differential-wise, on DVD, and on some, I can hear no change at all. With my older Maggies the differences (midrange) were startling.

Didn't have dts back then yet my experience matches yours. A confession: once we had the new player and amp I said we needed new – more full range – speakers. I call this incremental hi-fi. At this point I believe Elly perfected rolling her eyes.

DTS tends to provide more definition, more precision, and a smoother sound to my ears. In my current digs and setup there's less difference then ever, primarily as a function of the room and setup (bad, and bad, but demanded by Spousal factor). Jurassic Park in DTS remains one of my guilty-pleasure house-is-empty scenes.

The area of psycho-acoustics is, to me, beyond me. Sure, I've studied it extensively yet for the life of me it's math bound and I am no good at math. Yet, agreed, dts is better to my ears. I have Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and, in dts, it's far better than in Dolby. As I said before, if there's a dts alternative I select it.

The good thing about DTS v DD is there is a difference in sound for most people - and with some sources it's as noticeable as vinyl v CD. If you do a blind test make sure you level match! DTS has always seemed to run a bit hot (loud).

I don't know – someone help me out here – but on Blu-Ray encoded discs is there a dts alternative on the discs they've bought? I am thinking seriously of buying a blue ray player (still at the thinking stage prior to Elly rolling her eyes) and I would suspect the players do offer dts but don't know. Anyone?

MichaelR

Author: Selzhanik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3957 of 10536
Subject: Re: It's Finally Here Date: 5/13/2007 1:24 AM
Is your new TV the Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR3? And is it holding up well after a couple months of getting used to it?

Foolish regards,
Paul

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement