UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42341  
Subject: Re: Update on Anthony's ears Date: 9/24/2012 7:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's kinda a mess getting set up. It's free through the state up to age 3, but you're supposed to call your school district, and they don't have a direct link on their website. Then you get bounced around from the "oh he's not in school yet, we're for school age kids, you want this number" and finally it's "you need to call this state agency and then they will call us and then we will call you." So finally I'm set up for his evaluation appointments in October. He needs two of them, one with the state agency and one with the school district person. Luckily the state agency person completely understood the whole "no I can't take two different days off work" and scheduled for right before my school appointment and she will come to my house and then follow me there. I've got a ton of paperwork to fill out.

I'm just catching up after being out of town for a few days, and haven't read the whole thread yet, but I can add a few things here. You do need to talk to the Early Intervention folks who will do the screening and figure out what services he needs. You do not need to call your school department when he turns 3. That transition should all be handled and coordinated by the Early Intervention folks as part of their job and ensuring that he does get the services that he needs.

Early Intervention generally came to my house for my kids' appointments, but we did start going to the various providers at some point, so you might have to arrange for him to be able to get to the provider. Once my kids turned 3 and the services were provided by my school district, they were able to come to DS at daycare, but I needed to have him at a daycare in town to get that done. That was a big driver in making sure that I had them in the in-town daycare (we only had one) and he got his services there.

You do need to keep track of all of this and make sure that he is getting what he needs along the way. You will meet some really helpful people, but there are also some that aren't quite helpful, so you need to be on your toes to deal with them. Get informed about the timelines, and remember that timelines typically get triggered by something in writing, so put your requests in writing to preserve his rights, even though they will tell you that you can just call them. You don't want anything to get lost along the way.

Good luck.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement