UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465305  
Subject: Its like magic Date: 12/11/2012 7:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 29
"If can conceive it and believe it, he can achieve it."

Sounds corny. It is put out by a feel good self help guru. But, it keeps proving true.

It was less than 4 years ago that I looked into powering my square stern Grumman canoe with a troll motor and a battery. When I did the research I found that a lead acid battery was too heavy, in fact I could buy a 2 HP outboard and it and the gas would be lighter than the battery alone.

So I looked into the Li-Ion. There was really nothing there. Today I am going to have to re-power my mothers golf cart. She uses it to get around her yard. (About and acre and quarter with about a 20 foot rise from the lake to the house) I priced these batteries at Sam's.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-golf-car-battery-group......

They are about 600 dollars for a set. Just out of curiosity I did a Google search for Li-ion batteries for golf carts and came up with this list.

https://www.google.com/search?q=li-ion+golf+cart+batteries+&......

I checked out this website:

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/36-volt-lithium......

and found these batteries for 1800 dollars.

Now the difference of 3 times the price may seem steep. But, the Lead Acid batteries are only 20 amp hour batteries and the Li-ions are 40 amp hour batteries. Additionally the lead acids are good for less than 300 charge discharge cycles and the Li-ions are good for at least 3000 cycles. For a commercial operation, the Li-ions are the best choice. For my mom, the lead acids still get the call.

While I was looking at the site, I found marine batteries.

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/12v-40ah-lithiu......

A quick Google search, ok, it wasn't that quick, showed that a 30 pound trust trolling motor would be perfect for a canoe like want. That motor will consume about 30 amps at full power, pushing the canoe about 4 mph. Plenty fast.

With a 1000 dollars worth of batteries and a 200 dollar trolling motor, or better yet, probably a free trolling motor, and I have 2 hours of range, and less than 50 pounds in equipment.

This is what I was looking for 4 years ago, it is here today.

Like magic.

So, why isn't this post marked off topic?

What we think we need and cannot have, is often in the labs today. Rather than focus on the trajectory we are on, we should focus on what it takes to get us where we wish to be and invest in that.

Cheers
Qazulight
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PosFCF Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411096 of 465305
Subject: Re: Its like magic Date: 12/11/2012 9:19 PM
Recommendations: 0
That motor will consume about 30 amps at full power, pushing the canoe about 4 mph. Plenty fast.

What if the water current is greater than 4MPH?

Poz

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411097 of 465305
Subject: Re: Its like magic Date: 12/11/2012 10:38 PM
Recommendations: 1

Poz

If I couldn't out paddle it, I am not going to try to out motor it. I could add more power, but if I was really concerned, gasoline still has the highest energy density around.

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411098 of 465305
Subject: Re: Its like magic Date: 12/11/2012 10:52 PM

Well, you can leave the batteries behind, and the motor, and the canoe, and you wouldn't have a problem with a puny 4knt current....if you had an International 14...might get wet tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Q1PxekCsY

Nice shots from the chase boat, coarse language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOOVmpdKwsA

Steve

Author: EddieLuck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411117 of 465305
Subject: Re: Its like magic Date: 12/12/2012 11:01 AM
I can't believe you need 30 lbs thrust to move an aluminum canoe at 4mph, unless the canoe has a hull speed below that. I suspect the motor manufacturer is enticing you to buy more than you need. My guess would be more like 5lbs thrust to do the job. Is it a very short, fat canoe?

Ed.

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411119 of 465305
Subject: Re: Its like magic Date: 12/12/2012 11:09 AM
No, it is a well shaped, very efficient hull. I will try to get website. The 30 lbs was just what I could get current draw on.

Also, sense I probably grab a used troll motor rather than buy a new on, the 30 lbs will be what I get. Doing a little research the 30 lb is about like a 1 or 2 hp outboard.

I know I will have to find and swap out propellers as the troll motor are set to move heavy boats at slow speeds.

It is all speculation right now.

We'll see what happens.

Cheers
Qazulight

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement