Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
It's never wrong to attach a note. Tough if you are filing electronically!
If you sold options something similar would occur; options proceeds are not reported, so the options trader has to report them without recourse to a 1099 for help. Good records are necessary.
Since this year you closed your short, you will report the resultant gain or loss on this year's Schedule D.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.