No. of Recommendations: 1
it's not my call to make
...THE only right way.
To each his own.

Wish I could spend all of today's recs on this one.

Although...
You can own all the cars, boats, planes, you want - street legal or not - as long as you don't endanger people with them.

But isn't that the issue? As a law-abiding citizen who is safe & responsible and has no plan or intent to endanger anyone with anything I own, where does the line get drawn where on one side of the line I'm not endangering anyone with my theoretical scary black semi-auto rifle that's locked in a safe unloaded and on the other side of the line I've got it loaded in public and pointing it at people, obviously endangering people? "As long as you don't endanger people with it" doesn't really mean much if the answer to that question is "if it exists it endangers people", which is what many folks who dislike anything that's semi-auto are expressing.

I'll defend their right to express that idea, as long as they'll let me express my differences (without endangering anyone, of course), and at the end of the day the political process will carry through, and we will know two things for certain regardless of the outcome of that process: the law-abiding will continue to abide by whatever the law is (though they may rail against it and agitate for change), and the non-law-abiding will continue to ignore whatever the law is. Some people might change camps, but consider that new tighter gun restrictions only tend to sometimes make people move from the law-abiding to the non-law-abiding because they feel that strongly about what their freedom used to look like; hardly ever (if ever) does a new tighter gun restriction make someone move from the non-law-abiding to the law-abiding. You might find some that won't break the new law (whatever it covers) but they'll in all likelihood continue to break/flaunt the laws they were already breaking/flaunting before the new law got passed.

JT
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement