Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193133  
Subject: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/11/2012 7:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
;-)

Yeah, it's only been about a day but still, I've about exhausted my other boards so....how about another RM undate?

Shall we talk about the weather? Been cold and rainy today and while walking this morning, the rain was trying to become sleet. Assuming it keeps raining the lows tonight could spawn a few flurries. WOOHOO... not. well at least the dogs will enjoy it. Silly creatures.

The foliage peaked last week here in north east Michigan, all that's left are a few orangey trees and some yellows. The winds pretty much knocked all the red leaves down days ago.

This is what my favorite river looked like back at the end of September.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5918204895/photos/2238381/...

Other things. Decided my kitchen needs a minor bit of remodeling, going to have DH swap the refrigerator with the cabinets on the other end (yes it involves cutting the counter top) to make my kitchen more RM friendly and allow eventual purchase of a BIGGER fridge. And then new vinyl. Found a nice Armstrong pattern I really like.

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/vinyl-sheet/stone-parquet-...

I think it will look great with my knotty pine walls.

The kitchen re-do won't happen till hunting season ends. It runs till January. Then the floor.

I've lost a ton of weight. Okay, 19 pounds. Feels like a ton. DH has lost 19 as well. All from the dog walking, my exercise bike and seriously not eating junk food. Lots and lots of fruit for dessert.

Bought a new receiver for my home theater. The Fools over on the HT forum have been very helpful in finding me the right and affordable amp to replace the one my dad gave me 20 years ago. It finally gave up the ghost. Looking forward to its arrival next week.

Re-arranging my living room a bit. Trying to get a better home theater experience. It's fun.

Making chili tomorrow.
Reading a lot of books.
Walking Luna and Ziggy a lot. They love it. They're so easy to please.

I think that's enough.

Your turn.

RM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190908 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/11/2012 7:51 PM
I just started posting again after ten years. I will tell you that I was living on Long Island on 9/11. My husband and daughter were in Manhattan when the World Trade Center was attacked. I spent the day posting on the Living Below Your Means board just trying to hold it together. Everyone was very concerned about some of us who were living in NY. My husband and daughter were working in mid-town Manhattan and were OK but I did not see them until 8PM. They got the last train out of Penn Station back to Long Island. Long story short, DH lost his job and we relocated out of state. Two years later we came back to NY and where do we end up????
Well, I can see the new World Trade Center from my living room window.
Not sure whether I got the opportunity to thank the people on the boards who spent the day keeping in touch with us New Yorkers so I shall do that now. Thank you. Some of you are still posting here ten years later. You are good people and I am glad to be back again.

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190909 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/11/2012 8:15 PM
Recommendations: 0
Welcome back. Most of the old gang is still here, although the number of posts isn't what it was.

Bob

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190910 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/11/2012 8:36 PM
I've been busy celebrating crisp fall weather in the kitchen. So far I've done 5 quarts of split pea soup, 5 quarts of chicken stock, 3 quarts of Mexican chicken soup, and spaghetti sauce from 5 pounds of meat. I think I'm going to take tomorrow off.

In the meantime I've be de-duping the database for Equality Maryland, which is leading the effort to affirm MD's marriage equality law, enacted this year, in a November referendum. It's mind-numbing, but I'm making progress. I just hope that they won't need it any more after November 6.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: bosslady52 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190911 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/11/2012 10:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
DH and I continue to organize things around the house. He is walking with the dog and I twice a day, more exercise than he has gotten in a few years. The concrete for our outbuilding was poured today; hope to have the building finished by early next month, if not before. Been chilly here; calling for a rainy weekend, so guess we will start hanging pictures....

Author: Professor9 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190913 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 12:21 PM
I'm envious of the weight loss. I've been trying to walk, but occasionally get thwarted due to weather or timing or other lame excuses as they emerge.

Our kitty is suffering from kidney disease, but we are doing our best to help her out with reasonable measures. The new vet had some suggestions that have helped perk her up. We know it's only a matter of time (she is 17 years old, after all) but just aren't quite willing to put her down yet and she has actually had renewed appetite. It would be DD's cat. The other two elderly felines seem to be doing okay, being her sister and her mother, the 19 year old Siamese.

The Friends of the Library had a book sale yesterday. I knew I shouldn't go in there. We left with just shy of 30 books and I got change from my $20.00 bill. Talk about your kid in a candy store set up.

The fall colors are emerging and I just love it.

Prof

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190914 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 1:06 PM
I hope your kitty keeps doing better.

Windy and cool here, about 43f. Had some sleet on the morning walk. Lots of wind, almost nothing left on the maple trees.

Took me 15 weeks to lose those 19 pounds. That's about 1.25 pounds a week but it's been random, one week it'll be 2 pounds the next week none, the following week 3 with the occasional gain. Then I up the biking. I tell you the recumbent exercise bike is the way to go! I can read a book. Couldn't do that on the old style bike.

When we first moved here we took 5 office supply boxes of books to the library. I've managed to avoid being there for the sales. But on occasion when I've been to the hospital I've run into theirs and have often come away with a book or two.

RM

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190915 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 2:55 PM
I love to read and I hate to spend money on books so I usually have lots of books on hold at the local library.
We will be retiring next year and we checked out the local library in the new town and it's gorgeous. There is a "quiet reading room" and I know that my husband will be spending alot of time there. Last time we took a trip to meet with a realtor we again popped into the quiet room at the library and saw a few old geezers taking a nap. Next year my husband will be one of them!
Also, there are three bookstores in the neighborhood and one of them sells books at half off. Still prefer the library though because you cannot get cheaper than free!

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190916 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 7:34 PM
Not sure whether I got the opportunity to thank the people on the boards who spent the day keeping in touch with us New Yorkers so I shall do that now. Thank you. Some of you are still posting here ten years later. You are good people and I am glad to be back again.

I too have always been grateful for the folks, particularly here on the BBB, who checked up on me (and others) on that terrible day.

I'm still here but I've been posting a lot less - not sure why.

But I still consider this board my TMF home and always check in here first.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190917 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 7:51 PM
In the meantime I've be de-duping the database for Equality Maryland, which is leading the effort to affirm MD's marriage equality law, enacted this year, in a November referendum

I read today in the NYTimes that Mayor Bloomberg, who went to Johns Hopkins, has donated $250,000 of his own money to Marylanders for Marriage Equality to help pass Question 6 in Maryland in November.

As I understand it, this would make Maryland the first state to legalize same-sex marriage at the ballot box. (Hard to believe that it's not happened before.)

Best of luck!

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190918 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 7:53 PM
So far I've done 5 quarts of split pea soup, 5 quarts of chicken stock, 3 quarts of Mexican chicken soup, and spaghetti sauce from 5 pounds of meat.

You must have a huge freezer!

Christina, envious

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190919 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 8:34 PM
You must have a huge freezer!

Not nearly as big as I'd like. I have one of those horrible side-by-side refrigerators (although I do love water and ice through the door), but I found room for a 5 cubic foot chest freezer underneath the window. It has really helped.

Phil

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190920 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 8:51 PM
but I found room for a 5 cubic foot chest freezer underneath the window. It has really helped.

I will FINALLY start my kitchen redo shortly. But there is no room in my kitchen for a chest freezer, believe me -- unless I put it in the living room and I am not willing to do that - yet.

Christina, still envious

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190923 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 9:02 PM
But there is no room in my kitchen for a chest freezer, believe me -- unless I put it in the living room and I am not willing to do that - yet.

How about the bedroom? My parents had a small (3 cu ft) one in theirs.

Phil

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190924 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 9:26 PM
I love to read and I hate to spend money on books so I usually have lots of books on hold at the local library.

I finally broke down and bought a Kindle and have been busy downloading books from our local library and freebies from Amazon — only about a thousand so far...

Something I've noticed is I'm more adventuresome and will grab books I wouldn't have considered buying.

I still feel a bit odd not having a real book in my hands.

Bob

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190925 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/13/2012 9:31 PM
I have a 7.5 cu ft in my bathroom and another in the basement. Both are full. Got a smaller used in in the garage. It's a third full. And DH hasn't gotten a deer yet. And there's lots of birds yet to butcher.

I don't think I should get another though. Maybe we should eat some of what we've got!

RM

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190926 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/14/2012 10:44 AM
Recommendations: 2
Christina,
I actually do remember you from ten years ago.
You may be posting less but you never gave up on the board.
That speaks volumes.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190945 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/14/2012 11:17 PM
DW, youngest kiddo and I went to the automobile race in
Charlotte,NC Friday night - had a fine time and watching
people was as much fun as watching the race. Many fewer fans
than in past years - you can tell the economy is hurting.

Same token though you can tell there are some who still are
going around with their RVs and spending a fair amount of
cash at the races. But noticeably fewer in that fast lane.

I also note that the back of my legs are taking longer to
recover from the walk up the hill and back to the parking areas.
I got a cramp in my calf that still feels like a knot.
Went to the market on Saturday and picked up some bananas to help
in that regard. back to the office on Monday - and am behind on a
few project items. Should be busy another week - maybe two.
Then we will have to see what comes.

DW's mother got out of the hospital - and is in therapy for a while.
DW suspects that the Mayans were referring to her mother.
She could be mistaken.

Oldest son is fighting migrains.
His girlfriend is fighting a bad cold.

Howie52
And so we head into another week.

Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190970 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/16/2012 7:57 PM
Life is great, eh? Pretty nice here, too. We're thinking about Medicare and changing coverage. Sigh! Grandchildren continue to be fun. DH gets out golfing regularly and I went out once after the temps finally started to drop. Hard to remember if I've ever seen temps in the 90s in mid-October before. Air conditioning is still working :-)

Went shopping and out for lunch with a new friend and had great fun. Found a couple of new stores and restaurants. Continue to volunteer at the Phoenix Public Library warehouse. Have been enjoying the baseball play-offs, but so sad to see Jeter injured.

Loving college volleyball and have been to some of the ASU matches.

That's about it. Hitting the big 66 tomorrow and have the entire day planned. Party on!

Joan

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190971 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/16/2012 8:09 PM
Hitting the big 66 tomorrow

Joan:

A very, very "Hippo Bird day" to you! Party on, indeed.

Christina, only 10 months behind you!

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190972 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/16/2012 8:11 PM
We're thinking about Medicare and changing coverage.

It took me a very long time to decide on my coverage this past year when I reached 65.

If you don't mind my asking, why are you considering changing your coverage?

Christina

Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190973 of 193133
Subject: Re: It's Quiet --- TOO Quiet Date: 10/17/2012 12:46 AM
Now that we're Arizona residents we can get a Cigna Advantage plan that's much less costly than the supplement we have. They also have an inexpensive dental plan that's better than our dentist offers at his office.

Joan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement