Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 18
I was just reminded elsewhere that it's time for my annual solicitation for volunteers to help the poor/elderly and befuddled with their taxes. There are two programs, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). The IRS oversees both, but TCE is largely administered by AARP.

I've been doing VITA for almost 20 years, and it's truly the most rewarding thing I do. You don't need a tax background, they'll train you. You just need to commit to at least 4 hours a week from February 1 to April 15. It's a terrific way to learn some basic tax law and give something to your community.

I know I've snagged some volunteers here in past years, and their testimonials would be most welcome. For more information:


Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.