UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736360  
Subject: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/7/2013 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Detroit's Mayor Bing made sure to point out how "gun culture" was what was really the matter with Detroit and why they have such a huge crime problem. So you figure that gun related offenses would be a priority, perhaps even a top priority. And, say, if someone called saying that their gun was stolen it would merit an investigation of some sort.

You'd be wrong:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/detroiter-claims-911-...

Detroiter Rachelle Guyton said she called 911 around 6:30 a.m. Saturday to report that her 2003 Chrysler Town & Country minivan had been stolen from an apartment building in Palmer Park — but it wasn’t the van she was worried about.

“I have a gun under my car seat, and when I called the police department to explain this to them and try to have them help… they didn’t give me any attention. They told me I had to wait until 8 o’clock to call back. What if someone gets shot with this? What if a child gets this in his hand? I’m responsible, and I just can’t have that on my conscience,” Guyton told WWJ’s Terri Lee.

----

Call for a cop, call for a pizza, see which one arrives first in Detroit (and, given that lots of pizza places have stopped delivering to Detroit because their drivers keep getting robbed and/or killed... that's saying something!)

I'm starting to think that liberals have no intention of following up on anything they say even mere seconds after saying it, unless it involves depriving Conservatives of rights and then, whoo boy, can't dedicate enough resources to that!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665009 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/7/2013 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
Call for a cop, call for a pizza, see which one arrives first in Detroit
-----------

I had to give a rec just for that.

arrete

Author: flightdoc101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665157 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 1:28 PM
Recommendations: 1
What kind of idiot leaves a loaded gun in a parked car.

A strong arguement for keeping guns out of just anyone's hands if you ask me.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665161 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 1:51 PM
"What kind of idiot leaves a loaded gun in a parked car. "

I'm sure it helps if you drive in high crime areas, or have a protective order out against an ex who has threatened to kill you...

that you keep your gun unloaded....

and post a sign on your car -= no loaded guns in this car!....we empty them out when we park! '...

t.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665162 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 2:00 PM
Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Author: flightdoc101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665164 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 2:04 PM
keep it on your person if you need it. leaving it lying around is irresponsible. leaving it in a car is leaving it lying around.

your responses indicate a very casual approach to a deadly instrument.

and I am a multiple owner.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665169 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 2:12 PM
Recommendations: 3

That is indeed a bad idea, for obvious and not so obvious reasons. In Michigan if you have a gun in the passenger compartment of the car you're considered to be carrying it concealed. You can legally do so if you have a concealed pistol license (or are otherwise permitted to do so, such as if you're a law enforcment officer) but anyone without a CPL can be charged with a CCW (Carrying Concealed Weapon) violation just by driving that vehicle without a CPL holder present. Leaving a gun in the car can be problematic if someone else could drive that car.

However, there are instances where I leave my gun in my parked car, sometimes because I'm required to by law. If I drive to a place where I cannot leagally carry (such as the post office) I don't have much choice but to leave my gun in my parked car. Likewise if I go to someone's home and they say they don't want my gun in their house I honor their wishes and leave it in the car (that rarely happens). It's only a temporary situation, it isn't stored there on a regular basis (far from it!) but it happens sometimes. It has to, as long as there are gun free zones at least.

Many employers prohibit guns inside their builings, though whether or not they can prohibit them from cars in the parking lot is an open debate (some courts have ruled they cannot, others that they can, depends on what state you're in). So in some states people drive to work and leave their guns in their cars on a regular basis in order to comply with laws and workplace rules. It's either that or they're disarmed while driving to/home from work... not a risk many are willing to take. Why? Well for instance the Subway restaurant I frequent was held-up a couple of years ago at gunpoint. I wasn't there... that day, but I could have been. Armed robbers, carjackers and rapists don't give you the courtesy of scheduling their crimes in advance so you know which day to carry on your commute home so you can defend yourself. Since that's the entire point of carrying concealed while driving some courts have found that employers cannot disarm you during your commute by prohibiting you from storing your gun in your car while parked there.

I don't believe any of these applied to the woman in question, it appears she was indeed storing her firearm in her vehicle on a regular (if not permanent) basis. Given that she was in Detroit being armed at all times isn't a terrible idea though given the car theft rate she was playing russian roulette with someone stealing it. It would have been better to bring it inside with her of course, though perhaps she doesn't have a gun safe (some people in Detroit are VERY poor) and was using her car as one to keep it out of the hands of kids/relatives/friends. In that case it could have been the lesser evil for her. Hey, poor people should be able to defend themselves too... in fact they likely have more need to defend themselves on a regular basis given where they live (the poor are far more likely to be crime targets than the rich, paradoxically!)

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665170 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 2:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Likewise if I go to someone's home and they say they don't want my gun in their house I honor their wishes and leave it in the car (that rarely happens)." - Colovion

If you come to my house with a loaded gun I'll say, "let's take that sucker in the back yard and shoot it!" <grin!>

Great fun!

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665171 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 2:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
"keep it on your person if you need it. leaving it lying around is irresponsible. leaving it in a car is leaving it lying around."

Many times you have no choice with 'gun free' zones in schools, hospitals and many shopping emporiums.

You can't take all your 'stuff' with you.

Again, you forgot to mention that someone stealing from a LOCKED car is a criminal, and likely a previously convicted criminal, and likely even a felon.

So, the perp breaking into your car, and grabbing your gun, whether loaded or not, was likely commiting a violation of parole, likely committing another felony.

Instead of going AFTER the CRIMINAL, you go after the victim.

Oh..the girl got raped...and your response would be' well she was wearing 'sexy clothing ' and 'asked for it', right?

Typical progressive lib!

blame the victim. Never the criminal.

t.

Author: flightdoc101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665191 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 2:59 PM
Leaving a weapon rarely in a car is acceptable. The odds of theft for each day are low. Storing a gun in a car, as colovian states, is problematic.

A lock box can be lagged to the floor and does not cost more than $20. That would keep it away from the kids. She could load and unload it each day.

There are solutions other than leaving a a weapon regularly in a car.

Indefensible.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665192 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 3:01 PM
flightdoc is still blaming the victim.

Sorry......get a life.

Stop blaming victims...whether it be of theft, rape, murder.....

t.

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665255 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 7:50 PM

The kind of idiot who lives in shining liberal bastions like DC, Chitown, and the Motor City.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665256 of 736360
Subject: Re: It's the guns! Top Priority! Date: 1/8/2013 8:03 PM
(the poor are far more likely to be crime targets than the rich, paradoxically!)

Nothing paradoxical about it. People prefer to do things where it's convenient to do them. A hoodlum can go to a rich part of town where he stands out, doesn't know the area well, doesn't have friends to visit on short notice when he'd rather not be seen on the street... or he can commit his crimes close to home.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement