Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: It's the Little Things Date: 7/10/2009 6:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Went to an aunt's funeral yesterday. Nipped in the bud at 87, so it was one of those sad/happy events. Happy primarily because you see people you haven't seen since the last wedding/funeral.

I was talking to a cousin's husband. He retired last year. We got on the subject of neckties. Having gone to Catholic schools, he had worn a necktie every school/business day from the first day of first grade to his last day of work. When getting dressed for the funeral he had to ask his son for help in getting his tie tied.

As I say, it was a sad occasion, but he couldn't help wearing this big grin when we had this particular discussion.

Phil
Print the post Back To Top
Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15234 of 19224
Subject: Re: It's the Little Things Date: 7/10/2009 10:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
"...Having gone to Catholic schools..."

Phil,

You just had to bring up those old nightmares, didn't you.

If one of the nuns detected the slightest bit of breakfast on your tie you had to march back to the supply closet next to the cloak room and cut out a tie from navy blue construction paper and wear it all day.

One of the nuns claimed to be Yogi Berra's cousin - and she had the knuckles to prove it!

They had bars on all the doors and windows - and I don't think it was meant to keep anybody from breaking IN.

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh!

-drip

Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15235 of 19224
Subject: Re: It's the Little Things Date: 7/10/2009 10:09 AM
By the way, Phil, my condolences on the loss of your Aunt.

-drip

Author: louiedafish One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15243 of 19224
Subject: Re: It's the Little Things Date: 7/10/2009 10:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
First condolences for the loss of your aunt. I wore a tie to work every day until sometime in the nineties. First it was casual Fridays, then casual summer attire, finally, "smart business". It seems I only wear ties to weddings and funerals these days. Virtually never for business, I consult and do technical training part time. Actually, I can't recall the last time I wore a tie for business - of course, being semi-retired makes a difference here. I do remember how to tie a tie and my son wears a tie to work on occasion; he is still trying to keep up his good first impression. The tie is being recognized as the anachronism that it is.

My two cents - Louie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement