Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
It's unusual for me to get bull-headed, but I would this time. I'd point out to them that they sat on the check for a while (I assume we're talking about a couple of weeks here) and that the fault is theirs, not yours. I would not send them the balance of the money for the taxes. And if necessary, I'd file your returns using a substitute W-2, claiming the net amount of pay and taxes after the repayment.
You'll probably need to file on paper, and I'd expect any refund to take longer than normal.
--Peter <== knowing that a corrected W-2 (and related payroll tax returns) are not that tough to do

Unfortunately, I already repaid them for the gross amount I was overpaid. I probably shouldn't have, but there were other issues involved as not paying them back was holding up my associate from getting money, but I digress.

I'm going to take your approach, but what is it exactly that they expect me to do? If they refuse to budget off the idea that they can't give me a new W-2 because it was repaid after the end of the year, what am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to file this on my 2004 taxes somehow?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.