Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dwalin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13999  
Subject: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/3/2001 6:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone else ever get P.O.'ed when people seem not to know any rules of grammar? Please give examples.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/3/2001 8:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I just wrote a lengthy e-mail at work (which my supervisor is now reviewing before it's sent out to the rest of the team) regarding the use of the apostrophe.

Quite a number of people seem to believe that any word that ends with s deserves an apostrophe. I've tried to make clear the difference between a plural and a possessive. I give examples, I clarify, I explain the exceptions, I note the difference between its (the possessive) and it's (the contraction).

I am willing to bet that it doesn't help.

Has anyone noticed how no one on the boards seems to notice the difference between lose and loose?

Nancy
who has just added this board to her favorites.

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/3/2001 10:03 PM
Anyone else ever get P.O.'ed when people seem not to know any rules of grammar? Please give examples.

You mean like a sign in Food Lion (yes! let's name names!!!) saying "Banana's 58¢/lb."? And it wasn't handwritten, either. It was machine-produced.

Why does a banana own 58¢/lb.? That's what I want to know.

phantomdiver

Author: Dwalin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/3/2001 10:19 PM
Has anyone noticed how no one on the boards seems to notice the difference between lose and loose? Windowseat<i/>

Yep. People, 'lose' is when you have misplaced something. 'Loose' is when bindings or knots ar not tight.

YOU CAN NOT USE THESE TERMS INTERCHANGEABLY!

And when people say "Me and him are going out." It's "He and I". The other person(s) go first. Subject case, not object case.

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/5/2001 11:24 AM
Recommendations: 1
You mean like a sign in Food Lion (yes! let's name names!!!) saying
"Banana's 58¢/lb."?

Yes, yes yes!!! Like the very elegant restaurant in Charleston with a beautifully lettered chalkboard out front advertising "Our Dinner Special's"

And the manicure place down the street from me with a huge sign across the facade, "BEST NAIL'S"

And the medical clinic a few blocks away that claims, "Walk-in's Welcome"

Grrr...

Signs are expensive. Is it too much to ask that professional sign makers be educated enough in basic English to save their customers from looking like idiots?

I blame computers for the Apostrophe Catastrophe. Way too many folks depend on spell check instead of common sense (cents). No software program can read your mind! Do you mean cent or scent? There, their or they're?

Boy is it fun to rant :-)

Cheers,

Jeanie

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/5/2001 11:57 AM
Signs are expensive. Is it too much to ask that professional sign makers be educated enough in basic English to save their customers from looking like idiots?

It's possible that the person who commissioned the sign rejected the signmaker's editing. When I was a kid, I sold greeting cards door to door (no, Dwalin, you may not). Some were imprinted with stuff like "Nancy, Al, and the kids" -- you know, Christmas cards and the like. My customers wanted "The Zerbe's" on theirs. Even as a preteen, I knew that it should be "The Zerbes" and I told the customer so -- but the customer decided that she liked the apostrophe. Okay. She had a right to have her cards imprinted the way she wanted. It hurt, though!

phantomdiver

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/5/2001 12:21 PM
My customers wanted "The Zerbe's" on theirs. Even as a preteen, I knew that it should be "The Zerbes" and I told the customer so -- but the customer decided that she liked the apostrophe.

Whenever I see families (not family's) do that, I always want to ask, "The Zerbe's what?"

Jeanie ;-)

Author: angelbuggy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 11/19/2001 9:36 PM
One reason a lot of people confuse "its" and "it's" is that many words form the possessive by adding an apostrophe, such as "John's hat" "my sister's house," "the clerk's shirt," etc.

So rather than read "it's" as a contraction, they see it as a possessive, even though other possessive pronouns don't have an apostrophe, either.

My favorite variation on the "its/it's" dilemma is "its'." Since "it" is never plural, I have no idea where that one comes from.

ab

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 94 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 12/2/2001 9:20 PM
Hi,

I just found this board and I see that I am 93 posts behind. So my apologies if I am repeating a pet peeve.

Mine is "your" vs. "you're"

I was in a restaurant recently and the person in front of me had on a t-shirt which read, "Your standing behind a member of the class of 2002!"

I'm sure that must instill a lot of school pride. :)

ShelbyBoy

Author: ShelbyBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 95 of 13999
Subject: Re: Its vs it's, let's vs. lets Date: 12/2/2001 9:21 PM
Here's another.

In attempt to shorten "magazine advertisement" someone will write "magazine add" instead of "magazine ad"

ShelbyBoy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement