No. of Recommendations: 0
I got my iPhone 5 via UPS today, and at the same time, my old iPhone 3GS stopped syncing with iTunes because of "unknown error 1140" -- which has something to do with iPhoto. Not being able to back up the 3GS made transferring to and activating the 5 more than a little worrisome. (Do I trust iCloud with my backups? Nope.)

So, this evening was full of headaches that I won't bore you with, because I eventually got the iPhone 5 working and the data transferred over, in part by turning of photo syncing to my iPhone(s).

Once things settled, I returned to the photos, and I noticed that iTunes (version 10.7 (21) 64 bit) no longer allows syncing of selected albums, events, etc. It only allows syncing of my entire iPhoto library, which is preposterous, or by selected folder, which is as useful or as desirable to me as carrying $2.31 in cash and no credit cards or checkbook every day. I also get my Photostream, which I find as reliable as iCloud (i.e. just unreliable enough for me not to trust it or depend on it) and useless for carrying my favorite vacation albums that I had set up in iPhoto.

Has anyone else noticed unknown error 1140? Or the sudden inability to sync selected photos, albums, etc?

-awlabrador
Print the post Back To Top
BTW, apologies for the subject title. I used the subject box as a placeholder for the iTunes version number and forgot to change it to something like "iTunes no longer syncing iPhoto properly to iOS devices."

It seems that this problem coincides with the new iOS and the new iPhoto, rather than anything iTunes-specific. See, for example, https://discussions.apple.com/message/19836929#19836929

-awlabrador
No. of Recommendations: 1
There was a new version of iPhoto released in the late afternoon of October 1st which include "numerous bug fixes". It was a 749MB download as I recall.

Gordon
Atlanta
Thanks, Gordon. I'll check it out. I had downloaded an update shortly before that included features like shared Photostreams. I assume that one broke syncing and the newer one fixed it.

-awlabrador
There was an iPhoto and an Aperture update a week or 10 days ago. Both those updates had problems with the programs crashing because of some installer issue (or at least is what I saw posted). The Aperture correction was about 24 hours before the iPhoto correction.

Hope you are up and going now.

Gordon
Atlanta
Hope you are up and going now.

Yes, the 9.4.1 (701.67) update seems to have fixed whatever the 9.4.0 update broke, so that's all good, thanks.

Unfortunately -- and this really ranks very low on my list of problems, but it's there all the same -- my iTunes Artwork screensaver no longer sees the iTunes album artwork that is plainly visible within iTunes itself. Others have this problem (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4147100?start=0&tst... ), but unlike some of them, I have yet to transition from Lion to ML.

It's like things are falling apart, slowly, bit by bit...

-awlabrador
No. of Recommendations: 1
. (Do I trust iCloud with my backups? Nope.)

Which is a shame, because if you had used iCloud, you would likely have avoided the issues that inconvenienced you.

Of course, there's no reason you can't use both iCloud and iTunes.

I have iCloud selected as my default backup choice, but before I install any major upgrade to my iPhone, I connect it to my Mac, go into iTunes, right-click my phone, and select "Backup" from the pop-up menu.
Which is a shame, because if you had used iCloud, you would likely have avoided the issues that inconvenienced you.

In what way? I traced the fault to iPhoto.

-awlabrador
I'm having a problem with iTunes in so much as recently purchased tunes are NOT showing up in my library to play. I contacted iTunes who suggests deleting the recently purchased music & redownloading using the cloud

I'm not so sure about that as a fix.

Anyone have this issue & have a solution?
In what way? I traced the fault to iPhoto.

I thought you traced the fault to the way iPhoto interacted with iTunes. If you used iPhoto to sync with iCloud, you could have bypassed the problem.

(Though I admit I don't think that iPhoto can sync photo albums via the cloud; only PhotoStream gets synced. It is a multi-way sync. You can add photos to PhotoStream from an iOS device with a camera, or by adding photos from an actual camera into iPhoto.
You're right, it was an iPhoto+iTunes thing.

I got the Photostream sync'd just fine, but it was the albums I really wanted sync'd -- some photos for work that I want to carry for reference, some family vacation albums I just like to have with me. iPhoto doesn't sync those albums to the Cloud. And besides, it's easier to build and organize albums in iPhoto. I haven't tried, but I think the iPad comes in second and iPhone in third, in terms of ease of use.

No matter now, since version 9.4.1 of iPhoto fixed the problem.

-awlabrador
Advertisement