UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883891  
Subject: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
For various birthdays, etc., my kids seem to have piled up a bunch of iTunes gift cards.

Problem is, they don't use iTunes. Nor will they anytime in the near future.

Can iTunes gift cards be used at the apple store as well? Or ONLY for iTunes?

I can't seem to find the answer to this ANYWHERE.

A practical idea would be for them to upgrade their iTouch, or save towards something like an iPad mini, but I can't figure this out.

I don't let them download music from iTunes because it can only be used in iTunes. Most of the players in the house are MP3 players. Plus, they don't use their iPods for music at all.

They only have Touches, and so they won't be downloading movies and they have plenty of books to read (no iBooks).

They play lots of games and apps, but they rarely download new ones and most of those are free if they do.

It just seems like a terrible waste of these gift certificates.

What can I do with these?

GSF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869434 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 3:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
you can convert iTunes stuff to mp3.

or maybe sell/trade them on one of those gift card exchange sites?

Ishtar

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869435 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 3:28 PM
Oh and I've moved some of my music from iTunes onto Amazon cloud and to my kindle and they play just fine.

Ishtar

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869442 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 4:09 PM
Second ish's experience with playing iTunes downloads on non-Apple products.

iTunes also has movies and TV shows. If your kids don't mind watching something on the computer (or if you all have the ability to hook up the computer to your TV), maybe you can have some movie nights over the holidays.

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869444 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 4:13 PM
PS - If they're completely unused and you're okay with re-gifting, i like to give them as teacher gifts. Depends on the denomination and the teacher, of course, but we have a few who use them - and if they don't use them, their kids do*. And the smaller ones ($10) are great for youngsters like babysitters or the young women who help out at my kids' schools. (YMMV, natch.)

* Which...okay, maybe not the point of the present but we know the teachers well enough to know that they'll mentally transfer the amount of the gift card their kid uses into an account for something the teacher wants, if that makes sense.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869449 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 5:47 PM
I bet you could offer them for sale or barter on Craigslist.

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869451 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 2

I don't let them download music from iTunes because it can only be used in iTunes. Most of the players in the house are MP3 players. Plus, they don't use their iPods for music at all.

They only have Touches, and so they won't be downloading movies and they have plenty of books to read (no iBooks).

They play lots of games and apps, but they rarely download new ones and most of those are free if they do.

It just seems like a terrible waste of these gift certificates.

iTunes gift cards can only be used in the iTunes store. It probably says so on the back of the card, but it also does on Apple's website. They can't be used at the apple store.

iTunes stopped using DRM on their music in 2009. Any music you purchase on iTunes today can be used on almost any device, Apple or not, that can play MP3s.

I think movies or videos can play on the Touch (I play them on my iPhone). You can also play them on the computer itself.

Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869456 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/10/2012 11:01 PM
My music from iTunes works fine on my Android phone....

Author: hockeymomof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869477 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/11/2012 10:06 AM
I often put movies on my iPod touch and on my iPad.

Let the kids USE iTunes - there is nothing wrong with it and your objections are misinformed.

Or, sell em or gift them to someone who will.

Teri

surprised the kids don't already know better and override your objections.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869478 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/11/2012 10:12 AM
Let the kids USE iTunes - there is nothing wrong with it and your objections are misinformed.

Well, thank goodness I asked for parenting advice from people who know nothing about me but clearly know better than I do about what I should and should not permit my children to do.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869482 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/11/2012 11:50 AM
GSF,

I don't think that was intended to be parenting advice. I believe it was intended to be advice about what to do with the gift cards. None of your stated objections seemed to be about parental approval, but instead about technical limitations.

My ten year old just yesterday asked me to redeem a $10 gift card. I reserve the right to require parental approval of any content (games, songs, movies, etc.) he might want to download on his iThingamabob, but it was his gift and - subject to that parental approval requirement - he ought to get to use it as he sees fit. Whether or not his purchases are also easily playable on my phone or other device is irrelevant.

The above is not parenting advice. It's just a parenting example.

xtn

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869495 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/11/2012 4:30 PM

-----------------------------

Well, thank goodness I asked for parenting advice from people who know nothing about me but clearly know better than I do about what I should and should not permit my children to do.

You originally said: I don't let them download music from iTunes because it can only be used in iTunes. Most of the players in the house are MP3 players. Plus, they don't use their iPods for music at all.

This was contradicted by just about everyone in the thread. Thus, it was entirely accurate to say your objections were misinformed. Now, the "nothing wrong with it" part is purely an opinion of course. And if you have some non-techincal beef with iTunes, I could see how you felt attacked. But you didn't indicate that at all in your original post.

As I tell my wife all the time...reading a tone into words on a screen is an inexact science.

v/r
Tom

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869506 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/11/2012 7:16 PM
As I tell my wife all the time...reading a tone into words on a screen is an inexact science.

True. However, as I did state in my original post, the kids don't use their Touches at all for music, movies or books. While I prefer they don't download music from iTunes, we have a library of over a thousand CDs, all ripped to the music library (in our iTunes and tons of other miscellaneous MP3s. They simply do not listen to music on any device at all.

They also won't watch movies on the Touch because they don't want to, and they don't download books onto it either. So even if I hadn't been misinformed, they still aren't using the devices that way.

So that leaves apps. Which they rarely ask to download, and when they do, they're usually free. I'm the one who goes hunting for educational apps to download or the newest games. But forcing them to pay for that when I'm the one telling them they should have it seems hypocritical.

Plus, this part of the post I objected to was also this:

surprised the kids don't already know better and override your objections.

I'm the parent. You can EXPLAIN things to me when I'm incorrect. If you're my kid, you don't get to OVERRIDE me at all.

Yes, I'm sure I'm "misinterpreting" it.

But if the basic premise remains: My kids have no interest in downloading music, movies or books from the iTunes store and rarely buy apps, what else is there to do with an iTunes gift certificate?

The answer seems to be: regift or sell.

GSF

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869521 of 883891
Subject: Re: iTunes Gift Cards Date: 12/12/2012 10:23 AM
Plus, this part of the post I objected to was also this:

--surprised the kids don't already know better and override your objections.--

I'm the parent. You can EXPLAIN things to me when I'm incorrect. If you're my kid, you don't get to OVERRIDE me at all.

Granted.

The answer seems to be: regift or sell.

Regifting would be the easiest if feasible. If not, I'll buy them from you at 10% discount if you are interested. Let me know and we can work out the details.

v/r
Tom

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement