UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65665  
Subject: iTunes -- how do I find "missing" file Date: 10/5/2012 12:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When a file is missing or misplaced in iTunes, it shows up with an exclamation point next to its name in browser view. But that doesn't appear always to be the case, and often you have to try to play a file (in my case, a TV show) in order for iTunes to note that the file is missing or misplaced.

So, when I tried watching an old TV show, iTunes said the file was missing, and would I like to locate it and then based on that location allow iTunes to find other such missing files? I did so, found the missing file, and then iTunes said there are 31 other missing files that it couldn't locate.

What I want to know is, how do I find out what those missing files are?

Note that my question is not "how do I find the files on my disk?" Referencing a thread or two from some time ago, I have a large collection of media used by iTunes spread over several volumes (originating from the days when hard drives were less voluminous and more expensive), and I have my files organized hierarchically on disk in such a way that, if I know what files iTunes thinks are missing, I'd have a pretty simple time locating the original files.

So, restating my question, how do I figure out what files iTunes thinks it can't locate, when simply scrolling through the browser window doesn't seem to tell me what I want to know?

Thanks,
-awlabrador
Print the post Back To Top
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61199 of 65665
Subject: Re: iTunes -- how do I find "missing" Date: 10/22/2012 12:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
One night, before bed, turn the volume down and then choose the first item in your music library and hit play.

It will try and play everything, and mark the missing ones with an exclamation point.

(Of course, if you have hundreds of hours of music, this could take many days/weeks/months.)

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61200 of 65665
Subject: Re: iTunes -- how do I find "missing" Date: 10/22/2012 2:15 AM
Awesome idea, seriously. I never thought of that.

Of course, according to iTunes, it'll take 12.3 days to play through my music collection, which is much smaller than many people's collections, but still pretty large.

I might copy the library to a spare Mac and let that one run instead. Or write up an Applescript to try to speed things along -- I wonder if an Applescript or an Automator workflow can be written to play only the first few seconds of every track.

-awlabrador

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61205 of 65665
Subject: Re: iTunes -- how do I find "missing" Date: 10/22/2012 2:15 PM
Recommendations: 3

I might copy the library to a spare Mac and let that one run instead. Or write up an Applescript to try to speed things along -- I wonder if an Applescript or an Automator workflow can be written to play only the first few seconds of every track.

There's an Applescript that will check your library for missing tracks. It takes a few minutes, not hours or days - it's very helpful. I assume it will still run under the latest operating system - I'm still running Snow Leopard and it works on my computer.

Try Doug's Applescripts web page - http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

Karen

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61206 of 65665
Subject: Re: iTunes -- how do I find "missing" Date: 10/22/2012 2:19 PM
There's an Applescript that will check your library for missing tracks.

Oops, I forgot to list the name of the Applescript - the one I use is called List MIAs. It just lists the missing tracks, I don't think it marks them with an exclamation point (although I'm not sure - it might). But Doug's Applescripts page has lots of scripts - it may have one that will do exactly what you want.

Karen

Author: awlabrador Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61207 of 65665
Subject: Re: iTunes -- how do I find "missing" Date: 10/22/2012 3:45 PM
Excellent! Thanks very much! As a bonus, the web page says ListMIAs is compatible with ML.

I had been searching for so long for an Applescript to find duplicate e-mails that is also compatible with ML that one would think I'd have searched for iTunes Applescripts. I think giving up on the e-mail Applescripts made me forget about them for iTunes, except for possibly writing my own.

-awlabrador

Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61209 of 65665
Subject: Re: iTunes -- how do I find "missing" Date: 10/23/2012 10:56 AM
You might find List MIAs at Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes useful
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=listmias

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement