UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: QuickCarrera Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65532  
Subject: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/12/2012 7:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'll try and keep this brief...

I went to sync my iPhone5 with my new iMac. I am now stuck in this loop:
the iPhone backs up and syncs contacts, mail, etc. then when it gets to the music, I get this message:

"This computer is no longer authorized to play purchased items that are on the iPhone "Bill's iPhone". Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes store? if you do not authorize this computer, XX items, inlcuding. "xxxx" will be removed from the iPhone."

I hit the authorize button and the account dialogue box opens. Interestingly, it defaults to a .aol account that I haven't used in YEARS. So i change it to my current iTunes account info and enter the correct password. I then get this dialogue:

"This computer is already authorized. including this one, you have authorized 3 computers out of your available 5."

I hit ok...and then I am faced with the exact same dialogue box starting with "this computer is no longer authorized to play purchased items that are on the iPhone "Bill's iPhone". And the whole thing goes again…

I tried deauthorizing iTunes and downloading a fresh copy....no joy there.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

Bill
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61657 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/12/2012 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This is not common. You have a new Mac.

Call Applecare
800/275-2273

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61658 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 12:56 AM
Recommendations: 3
Is it possible that you bought a tune or two using an Apple ID that was based on that old AOL account?

I had a similar thing happen last summer. I managed to dig up the password for a very old Apple ID, and was able to clear the problem. It seems that iTunes remembers the Apple ID with which each tune is purchased.

Loren

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61659 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 7:02 AM
Recommendations: 1
Loren wrote It seems that iTunes remembers the Apple ID with which each tune is purchased.

It is not only possible it is by design Apple keys or tracks all purchases to a specific Apple account. You can create a second account have your purchased spread around - that is not unlike two people with different accounts using the same PC. If you want to change your Apple ID because you change your Email, you need to specifically do that. (I recently did that and the process is not intuitive.)

If Bill actually did this, I strongly suggest you contact Applecare ASAP. Apple's official policy is they do not merge accounts. But given this situation, I expect you are more likely to get someone to accomplish the account merger you need.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: QuickCarrera Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61660 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 9:45 AM
It is not only possible it is by design Apple keys or tracks all purchases to a specific Apple account. You can create a second account have your purchased spread around - that is not unlike two people with different accounts using the same PC. If you want to change your Apple ID because you change your Email, you need to specifically do that. (I recently did that and the process is not intuitive.)

If Bill actually did this, I strongly suggest you contact Applecare ASAP. Apple's official policy is they do not merge accounts. But given this situation, I expect you are more likely to get someone to accomplish the account merger you need.<i/>

Indeed, I did just that many years ago and have never been able to merge the accounts. I'll give Apple Care a call.

Thanks!

Bill

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61661 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 11:23 AM
yes, it does - I continually have this problem of old Apple ID's poppingup where and when I least expect them. Apparently Apple keeps the old ones forever, that's their policy I'm told. ANd, it drives me crazy!!! Never know which one to use - invariably select the wrong one. :(

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61662 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 12:21 PM
Pick one to be your now-and-forever Apple ID.

Then stop using the others.

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61664 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 12:41 PM
good advice, Steven, but I'd really like to get rid of the others....Apple won't let me!!! So, I'll have to live with it, :)

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61666 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 1:39 PM
I'm curious...why can't you stop using the others? I'm sure Apple doesn't care.

1poorguy (hates multiple IDs and passwords for the various things I do)

Author: QuickCarrera Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61671 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/13/2012 3:44 PM
Pick one to be your now-and-forever Apple ID.

Then stop using the others.

I haven't used that old AOL address in years. It seems that this is a known issue.

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61677 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/14/2012 12:15 PM
one can stop using the others.....but sometimes my poor old brain can't remember which I used previously, some apps I downloaded way back are under a previous ID. So to update these, I have to use the old ID - and that drives me crazy. then iTunes opens the next time with the old Apple ID, making it cumbersome for me to open/update newer apps. <sigh>

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61685 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/14/2012 6:01 PM
So to update these, I have to use the old ID - and that drives me crazy.

Steven would know for sure (and maybe already has said), but I would think there is a way to combine those accounts into one. It would simplify your life, for sure!

Author: QuickCarrera Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61686 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/14/2012 6:25 PM
Fixed! Long story short...had to log into iTunes using the old AOL account. Then plug in the phone, agree to certain content not being authorized to view on the computer under that name. Log back in to the current account and all is now well....

The Apple care rep said that Apple was working diligently trying to find a way to merge user accounts.

Bill

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61688 of 65532
Subject: Re: iTunes stuck in continual loop w/new iMac Date: 12/15/2012 10:39 AM
<The Apple care rep said that Apple was working diligently trying to find a way to merge user accounts>

yep, I'm waiting......and waiting......and waiting.... ;)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement