Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
I've addressed the whole issue of means. But no one cares.

Tweaker, I find that interpretation skewed. Some choose not to increase their means precisely because they have chosen deliberately to value other things in their lives - time with the family, homeschooling the children, etc. As one who espouses deliberate living, I would hope you could understand this POV. They then look for alternatives to reduce their living costs so they can pursue those values & choices that are important to them.

Some of the folks on the LBYM board don't want to take responsibility for their own financial condition. They want to come to the LBYM board to feel good about themselves. Misery enjoys company.

Folks are posting on the LBYM board BECAUSE they are trying to take responsibility for their financial lives! Some come to it with a better set of skills than others. I'm glad you learned about it so young in life. Others weren't as fortunate to be educated by their parents or schooling in financial life managemnt skills. But they come to LBYM & the Credit Card board because they are trying to turn their lives around, one step at a time.

Offering help? The first thing that I need from anyone who wants help is their acceptance of their own actions. How can I tell others to enjoy their life on that board without being yelled at by others that the only way to enjoy your life is to buy thrift clothing?

Well, first off, offering advise & "telling others" how to enjoy their life are two different things. Secondly, the fact that they are posting on LBYM in the first place implies some basic acceptance of their own financial responsibility, unless obviously stated otherwise in their post.

For example, your response of "Learn to use credit cards responsibly. And stop writing all those checks!" was not helpful to tootru's "About to Puke" post. If you read tootru's post, he already said the credit card accounts were closed. That implies an attempt to learn how to handle credit cards responsibly & pay off his debts. Now, how shall he pay for his bills? That leaves cash, checks or money orders. Not a good idea to mail out cash for bill payments. Ok, so he made a mathmatical error in his checkbook & is panicked about bounced checks. He admits he's embarassed about it & wants information on how to handle it. Somehow, "stop writing checks" doesn't help with either his current problem or increase his financial skills. It's just flippant.

Thirdly, who ever said you had to buy thrift clothes to enjoy your life? Thrift stores are an alternative clothing source without having to pay full retail for designer or quality merchandise. Some choose to utilize it because they prefer to save their dollars for other uses or expenditures.

No one wants to hear that safe sex is practiced less as you increase your income, but that is what one study shows.

No one on LBYM boards says that safe-sex practices are unimportant. Unwanted pregnancies certainly aren't frugal, plus there is the emotional cost to the baby who needs love & nurturing. But posting one remark about education level vs safe-sex practices without any sort of correlation does not make your theory true. And one should not believe any study at face value. There is good scientific/survey technique & there is poor technique. Do you believe everything you read & hear? What if 100 studies show a claim is untrue & one shows it true? Does the one mean that it is automatically true? I always want to understand the underlying veracity of claims. If you choose to debate a subject, especially a controversial or unfamiliar one, don't be suprised when people request facts. That's just good debating skill.

And sometimes I do go a little overboard. Maybe I'm not careful with everything I write, and maybe I should work on that now to. What do you think? Should I be politically correct to please the masses?

No one has asked you to be PC. They have asked you to abstain from rudeness, game-playing & unsubstantiated remarks. Thoughtful & constructive comments are more appreciated.

Laura

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement