UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76078  
Subject: Re: Roth vs. Traditional IRA Date: 8/30/2003 11:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I've also struggled to figure out which types of accounts are best and I did it by looking at the sources of retirement income. There were;

1) Traditional pension (which I don't have)
2) Income from part time or hobby work
3) Social security
4) Taxable retirement accounts (traditional IRA's, 401k, defined contribution pension)
5) Non-taxable retirement accounts (Roth IRA's)

What I finally decided was that since the tax laws and rates are subject to so much change it would be impossible to determine which of these is will be theoretical best investment when I retire. For that reason I've decided to put my money in a mixture of the different account types. Having a mixture of different types could give you flexibility in the future.

One often overlooked aspect of the pros and cons of the taxable and non-taxable accounts is that when you are fully retired you will still have your standard deduction and any property taxes that can be deducted on your income taxes so the first 20 thousand dollars of taxable income is taxed at a very low effective rate. You really want to have some taxable income when you retire to take advantage of your deductions each year.

As someone pointed out you will eventually need to make minimum withdrawals from the traditional IRA but if your minimum withdrawal after age 70.5 is enough to but you in a painfully high tax bracket then you have probably should have retired earlier.

I would suggest investing in the following order;

1)401k up to any company match.

2)If you don't already have a house, and you think you will want to buy one, you might want to save up enough have %20 percent down on a home purchase before any more retirement savings.

3)An amount equal to the 401k comtribution in a Roth IRA

4)Equal amounts in a Traditional IRA(or the 401k if you have good investment choices) and a Roth IRA.

You might want to contribute something like $1.30 to the traditional IRA or 401K for every dollar contributed to the Roth IRA to make them equal after the traditional IRA tax deduction.

Greg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement