UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: maureenkaplan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308363  
Subject: Re: Political OT: Church v. State Date: 6/28/2002 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
I've always found the separation of church and state to be a difficult concept to adopt. After all, if you are a christian or a jew or something else, how do you cut off that entire part of yourself when you are at school (state) and then turn it back on once you return home? If I believe in God, I will always believe in God wherever I am.

Agreed. I think the concern more comes from [Presumed Authority] impressing their religious beliefs [Historical example: "Catholics have horns and hooves and are going to H@!%"] on those who don't believe the same things. So, you are free to pray whenever you like, so long as you do so *inside*. Unfortunately, public proclamation of belief often feels to the person hearing as more than simple prozelytization; there is often an "I'm better than you" message that is heard, even when it is not intended.

And I I wonder why people get all bent out of shape by the mere mention of God, yet nobody gets bent out of shape at the mention of Allah, Jehovah, or whoever <fill in the blank>.

Probably because no state-sponsored or affiliated groups mention those names (of which I'm aware). If they did, I think I would object just as much as I do to the mention of God. (Which, as I mentioned before, I don't particularly, but that might be because it's my word. Who knows, I *might* object to "One Nation, under Allah, indivisible... ::grin::)

I guess maybe you have to have been in a situation where you've had someone in authority tell you that you are damned, etc., before you start to feel strongly that it's better to err on the side of cutting religious mention out of state-sponsored activities, rather than having your child come home crying because "you're going to [x]". Yes, the first has happened to me, and no, I'm not willing to risk the last.

Maureen
Prayer will remain in schools so long as they continue to give tests. - Unk.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement