UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6641  
Subject: Re: Patched java now available Date: 1/14/2013 7:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've always gotten best performance and best behavior from sun's jdk, so I install the rpms from java.sun.com ( both for my home system and for enterprise deployments ).

I never thought about those. In the distant past, I always got the RPMs from IBM because I needed to run it with IBM's DB2 dbms, and the other sources did not work with that. When I switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, around 2003 or early 2004, I took what came with RHEL 3 that I was using at the time. I do not know what that was. I just looked recently and RHEL 6 seems to be running with openJava. AFAIK, I need Java only for my broker's web site, and I just use what I get. Possibly BigCharts needs it too; I no longer remember. At the time I was running RHEL 3, I stopped using DB2 (I would have needed to pay for a new license) and started using postgreSQL that did not require Java. I would have used postgreSQL earlier, but when I first needed a dbms (1998?) it did not work very well. I started with Informix when I was running Red Hat Linux 5, but when RHL 5.2 came out, it would no longer work and Informix was not interested in fixing it to work with other versions, so I switched to IBM's DB2.

I notice that Sun (Oracle) say that after you install theirs, you have to manually connect the plugin code to the browser. I have to do that with some other plugin (I forget which), and it is always a royal pain. At least the Java that comes with RHEL 6 does all that automatically. I am not sure what best performance means in the context of Java. You mean it runs noticeably faster? The parts of my broker's web site that require Java need not go particularly fast. Rendering a page in one second is plenty fast enough, and it does that without burning up much processor time.

Also, it is not clear that Sun's rpm is compatible with RHEL 6. The RPMs that work with that usually say .el6-X86_64-

Like this:

bind-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
bind-chroot-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
bind-libs-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
bind-utils-9.8.2-0.10.rc1.el6_3.6.x86_64
binutils-2.20.51.0.2-5.34.el6.x86_64

Those at Sun do not say that. This does not mean they will not work, but why should I go to all the extra work when Red Hat provide their stuff automatically?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement