Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've answered my own question. Here's what I found.

CA uses Form 3805P as the equivalent of the federal Form 5329. (It took some effort to establish this, so I add it to this answer.)

CA does not tax Social Security benefits nor does it tax income from US government debt. We had both kinds of income. They reduced our federal AGI enough so that the CA "equivalent AGI" minus the Roth conversion was <$100,000 and the conversion generated no CA penalty tax.

It would be useful (especially as boomers pass age 65) if this MAGI for Roth conversion was calculated and posted on one of the "Open a Form" "Show My Return" forms in TurboTax.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.