Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Re: crocheters & knitters Date: 3/4/2004 8:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
I've been crocheting for quite a few years, but I think my first project was a doily using crochet cotton. I have a few of those around the house. Then I moved up to afghans, but I have never made anything to be worn, so I didn't have to worry about perfect gauge.

I learned to knit last year because my daughter, who is a Girl Scout, was getting her Bronze Award which is the highest award a Junior Girl Scout can earn, and they do it when they are 11. Anyhow, for her project, she decided to coordinate getting knitting lessons for the troop and the moms who were interested, and we used a very simple knit pattern to make hats for premature babies. I was very proud of her doing this project and all its coordination. She even put a letter to the editor in our local paper, and had several of the older ladies in our town and in the next town over knitting hats. I even had the mother of someone I work with knitting hats, and this lady lives in Florida while we're in Massachusetts. Anyhow, my daughter collected 278 knitted hats from everyone, and we donated them to the NICU where she and her twin brother spent the beginning of their lives.

This project was special to my daughter and to me because my kids were born 12 weeks prematurely, and I still have their hats from when they were only 2 pounds and in the NICU. It was nice to give back to something that had such personal meaning to us.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement