UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308355  
Subject: Re: Tapping nest egg to pay off CC's. Date: 6/12/1998 2:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been crunching hard numbers last night. The original numbers were off. I didn't have the statements in front of me when I wrote the first post, so I had given them my best guess.

Since them I pulled the statements and check the numbers. Here they are as of today:

401K = $122K consisting of 3 pots of money...
I&I = 34K
Matching 401K = $35K
Deferred 401K = $53K
There is a $29K loan against the $122K 401K
ESOP = $138K
Total Nest Egg = $260K

I am paying $714 a month on the $29K loan.

TMF_Pixy on the retirement board provided some very helpful information for anyone considering doing what I need to do. Not only will I be penalized 10% for tapping tax-deferred money early, but I will not be able to recover as soon as I had hoped.

First I must borrow as much as I can ($50K). This would push my montly payment to $1155/month. Very tough to handle, but I think I can manage if I give up contributions (which I will forced to anyways).

Second, I would be prohibited from making contributions for a year.

Third, after a year, I would be severely restricted on how much I can contribute. This means... no free money. Ouch!

So.... after running the numbers, this is the only way it could work.

(1)Borrow $21K from 401K... loan becomes = $50K
(2)Take $22K from 401K. Keep $11K, pay $11K in taxes & penalties. This is to keep the loan at or under 50% of the 401K.
(3)Take $56K from ESOP. Keep $28K, pay $28K in taxes & penalties.

The loan payments would jump from $714 to $1155 a month.

The 401K would have $100K left (half in loans, have in funds). The ESOP would have $82K left. The nest egg would be worth only $182K, a $78K loss.

So turning 35 years old (July) I would have a $182K nest egg, $50K in debt for 5 years costing me $1155 a month. No bancruptcy, just severe delinquency for 1998. After July 2003 I can be a debt free 40 year old man with a net worth of about $250K or more, not where I had planned to be, but not destolute either.

Now I need to crunch my monthly budget to find an extra $441 a month to meet the new payment schedule. No contributions gives me about $170 towards the payments.

Of course all of this would unravel if my landlord decides not to re-new the lease in December. That is a chance I'll have to take.

This also assumes that the benifits adminstrator agrees with me. They could deny my plan.

Does anyone out there find fault with my numbers? I would appreciate feedback. Thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement