Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71409  
Subject: Re: Lowest-cost insurance car(s) for teen? Date: 2/11/2013 1:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I've been involved in buying several vehicles off craigslist in the last three or four years.

A few tips.

Know what the market is. You can send an email to sellers with cars in your price range a week or so after they are listed. If the cars are still for sale, you'll probably get a quick reply. If they are not, you'll either not hear back at all or get a response that the car is gone. Fairly priced cars sell quickly. Once you have an idea what sort of car your budget will buy, you will be a better informed consumer.

Be prepared to act quickly. If you want an inspection, have a place lined up. Have your money readily available. I helped my stepson buy a used Altima three years or so ago. It was listed mid-afternoon, we looked at it late afternoon, and paid for it the next day. The seller, who seemed to be a pretty credible guy, claimed to have gotten several phone calls that evening. I bought a Honda Civic about two and a half years ago. We closed the deal about 24 hours after the car was listed. The seller, again a credible seeming guy, said plainly that he he had received multiple inquiries that day and that he wasn't interested in negotiation.

Finally, recognize your role in this. I helped raise two stepsons, and it took me a while to figure out what was worth getting wound up for. Some things are just losers. If your soon to be husband wants to buy his kid a sports car, it might just be best to go for a pedicure or whatever you do when it rains on parade.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement